11

It's lucky you know what the hell you're doing, or this mission could've gone sideways for you really fast. You thrusted the butt of your gun on the guard's head to knock him out cold and dragged him inside after breaking into the room. There was a safe hidden behind the fake painting and it took you a couple of minutes that you didn't have to crack it.

Surprisingly, even to yourself, you ignored the cash and jewels, heading straight for the drive. You tucked it into your bra for safe keeping and closed it up carefully, wiping away your prints afterwards. Just as you were going to hang up the painting again, the door opened, and someone flicked the lights on.

"Y/n?" Steve's voice gave you pause, letting out a breath you didn't know you were holding when you closed your eyes, and then you turned to him as he demanded, "What're you doing here?"

He kept his voice low, knowing the mission was still in motion and he needed to be discreet, but seeing the unconscious guard on the floor nearby wasn't a real comfort.

"I read in the file you were looking for a safe in this room," You admitted, "And since I was restless in the hotel, I thought I'd come help."

He approached quickly, eyeing the safe, and then back to you.

"...And?"

"And it's locked up really tight, so I was just gonna bail because I can't get in it."

He smirked, pulling out a mechanism that looked like your old one but sleeker and more modern.

For you to have built your old one, you needed to be an expert in safe cracking, and once you mastered that, you found out how to do it quicker.

You acted excited, hiding the fact that you knew he wasn't going to find what he was looking for once he opened it. He turned to latch it on and waited for the three clicks, the door popping open a moment later. He removed the device and yanked the door open, rifling sloppily through the stacks of cash and boxes of jewels, coming up empty.

"Shit." He muttered.

"What's wrong?"

"It's not here."
"Now what?" You asked, your own curiosities and anxiousness peeking through your demeanor, knowing the longer the two of you hung around, the more likely you'd get busted.

"Guess we call it a night," He clenched his jaw, frustrated, "Go back to the hotel and call Fury," He gestured to the exit and barely grazed your arm, "Come on."
You felt guilty for lying about the drive, but you needed to see what was on it and maybe erase anything connecting to you or your family. Then maybe you'd come clean and give it to him with everything else on it so it'd be a partial win.

Come clean?

Who the fuck are you?

You went into the room first and hid the gun in his bag when he went to make the call. Then you went into the bathroom to change, pocketing the drive in your backpack so that he wouldn't find it, especially since you covered it in your delicates.

Had a hunch he was the awkward type when it came to ladies' underwear.

The two of you were lounging in your respectable beds since it was almost two in the morning now, and you noticed it was still bothering him. His eyebrows were furrowed, and his eyes darted across his lap while he slumped against the headboard. You sighed frustratingly and pulled the covers back, swinging your legs over the side. This caught his attention and he peered over at you with a little frown, wondering what you were doing.

"It's one mission," You tried to reason, "So, you didn't find the drive, what's the big deal?"

He sat up to face you, your knees only about a foot apart since the beds were pretty close. He leaned his forearms on his legs and looked up at you with what seemed like suspicion.