Fin

Paris, France.

The view from your hotel room was spectacular.

It peered over the city of love, the Eiffel tower just peeking out from behind a famous historic building, and the rustling streets below filled with light and laughter.

You sat on the terrace, sipping your espresso, and happily awaiting the room service you ordered a bit ago. You were dressed in only the white robe and slippers that they provided, sunglasses to shield your eyes from the bright sun, and taking in the warmth from the early summer morning.

The bracelet you swiped from the lab was a prototype for a nanotech chest piece you had been working on before they took you in, but nobody could crack it. They had discarded it completely, figuring maybe it was just junk, but paired with a hefty bag of fake blood, and you've got a recipe for the start of a disappearance.

You had to make sacrifices, you were used to this in your life, and it pained you every day, but you also slept better knowing that you kept the ones you loved, your family, safe from the dangers of your past. No matter how many they detained, and you've been reading up on the story – it's been quite a lot of them, they'd always have their own allies lurking in the shadows, waiting to strike.

So, you faked your death.

You planned it perfectly, the chest piece filled with blood, the gun loaded with blanks, and paying off a handful of actors and doctors to play the part. You've made plenty of acquaintances in your travels and many of them migrated to New York, so you took advantage. You didn't trust them, but for this, you could because they had no idea where you were going.

You just had to make sure Sam fell into the trap and thankfully, she did, right on schedule.

You were careful, fending off suspicion and making sure everyone was paid off well enough or just didn't know who you were in the first place.

Multiple identities come in handy.

But then there was Steve, a frown coming to your face even months after because you truly loved and missed him every day. You wanted a happily ever after with the soldier, but deep down you knew that's not how your story would end.

"Miss Alice Caffrey?" A man called, knocking on the door.

"Entré!" You greeted back, getting up to tip him as he left your food.

He smiled warmly and nodded in thanks before leaving you to it.

Warm, flaky croissants were exposed when you lifted the cover and you took your time, looking over all the other French delicacies that you ordered.

Being on the run had its perks.

You had unlimited funds, but you needed to keep a low profile, so you got a suite, but not nearly the nicest they had, and you got to enjoy the expensive food and amazing view without raising any red flags.

You took your mimosa to the terrace, a buttered croissant in your other hand, and looked down at everyone walking around, busying themselves with their exciting lives.

Your smile faltered when you thought of the plaguing downsides of being on the run though.

The loneliness and ever-growing fear of being discovered.

You were mostly used to that before, so why did it bother you so much these days?

Probably because you got incredibly comfortable in a tower full of interesting people who saw you for you and not some stranger passing by.

You fell in love and being in this city didn't help to keep those memories away.

It didn't escape you that you had only talked about this wonderful city with Steve hours before you escaped to it, but that's why you chose it in the first place. It gave you a closeness to him that any other place just wouldn't. In your loneliest times, you could remember making those plans in passing or how he was back in New York kicking ass as an avenger and you were here, quietly helping the people of Paris when they needed it.

"Forgot your paper." A voice came from behind you, setting the pages on the table next to your coffee with your back to them, and for a second you thought you recognized it, but brushed it off.

You chuckled to yourself, shaking your head, and finding yourself ridiculous for even having that thought before they spoke again,

"And I believe you promised me a forever."

Because they make quite the pair.

Fin.

Thank you so much for reading, commenting, and voting on this! Hope you liked it!!