~Chapter 1, Part 3~

Veronica: Ugh, I'm so stiff... 

I'd gotten so caught up in reading the books Sariel had left for me that I'd lost track of time, and I rubbed my aching shoulders as I walked. (Now I just hope I don't get too lost on my way to dinner...) I glanced around, trying to get all my bearings, and then I heard light footsteps coming down some stairs up ahead of me. 

Nokto: Good morning, Belle. 

(Nokto...) I studied him cautiously, remembering how flippant and flirtatious he'd been the last time we'd met. His smile was as sly as a fox, and he met my gaze directly, something challenges in his eyes. There was a saunter to his step as he approached me, and the white coat hanging loosely from his shoulders swirled around him like a cape. 

Nokto: Are you searching for a prince already? 

(I'm not sure I like the way you phrased that)

Veronica: No, I'm not. I already asked Sariel to arrange things so that I've got time to talk to everyone. 

Nokto: You've made plans already? You move fast, I see. So what exactly did you beg the devil to arrange for you? 

Veronica: I didn't beg him for anything, so stop twisting my words. I just asked him to let me dine with you all. 

Nokto: Starting from tonight?

Veronica: Well, yes. 

Nokto: Hmm.

Nokto's gaze travelled slowly down, taking in every part of me, and I felt oddly vulnerable, especially when he smirked suddenly. 

Nokto: You're planning to dine with us, dressed like that? You must be joking, right? 

Veronica: Why? Do I look that weird to you? 

Nokto: I never said that.  But you do look... well, don't worry, I can fix things. 

The smile on his lips made me instantly suspicious, and as he leaned towards me, I took a step back. 

Veronica: What? 

Nokto: You're not a bad looker, you know. You should take a little more care of yourself. 

Veronica: Excuse me? 

Nokto: If you want people to notice you-to listen to you-you need to pay attention to your appearance. Trust me... it'll make all the difference.