~Chapter 6, Part 1~

Nokto: The truth is... I've gotten engaged. 

(Wait... WHAT?) Thankfully, I wasn't the only one who was stunned-the Benitoite merchants were all staring wide-eyes of Nokto. 

Merchant: Did you just say... engaged? 

Nokto: Yes, I did. You're not hearing things. I had a feeling I wouldn't be able to keep any secrets from you... and so I brought my fiancee along so I could introduce her to you. 

Nokto's smile was bright, and I should have know what was coming as he turned towards me, but for some reason, I didn't. 

Nokto: This is my fiancee, Veronica Rodwick. 

(WAIT, WHAT?!) I stared at him shocked into silence, but in my mind, I could hear the conversation we'd had before we'd left the palace. 

**flashback** 

Veronica: Are you going to explain why you insisted I come to this trip with you? 

Nokto: Do you remember when I told you make yourself pretty? Well, that also works in my favor, too. A pretty woman at my side distracts from me, and let me gets away with more. I already know your brush up well, and your lineage won't cause problems, either. 

Veronica: So I just happened to be the most convenient woman available. 

Nokto: That's right. You're very convenient. So you don't have to worry about a thing-eat some good food, smile when they look your way, laugh at their jokes, and you're good. 

**end of flashback**

(I can't believe you lied about this! How am I supposed to react? What am I even supposed to say?!) I couldn't meet his bright-eyes stare, and I turned quickly to look at Licht, hoping desperately for assistance. But he was calmly eating his food again, as if nothing had happened. (Aren't you even the slightest surprised?!) He must have felt my stare, but he didn't even look up from his plate, and I swallowed hard, my heartbeat roaring in my ears. (But there's no one else-if only Rio was-) 

Nokto: Ver... 

Nokto's voice was unusually gentle, but I started all the same, turning hesitantly towards him again. Our eyes met and held, and then his gaze dropped, just a little, and I caught my breath. (Oh-) He was staring down at my neck, and suddenly everything fell into place. 

**flashback** 

Nokto: The finishing touch. Put that on, and you'll look perfect. Everyone there will be admiring you... and letting me get away with whatever I like. 

**end of flashback**

In the end, I hadn't felt comfortable wearing the ring he'd so casually gifted me with, so I'd put it on a necklace to wear around my neck instead. 

Nokto: It's okay, Ver. We don't need to keep it a secret any longer, or tell any more lies.