~Chapter 4, Premium Story~

I was leaving the palace to go on some sort of trip to Benitoite, and I rushed about my room, getting ready as quickly as possible. (I know it's a bit late now, but-I'm not sure I'm ready for this. I've never even been to Benitoite, let alone for something like this!) Rio was there to help me find everything I needed, and when I was done and ready to go, he beamed at me, his eyes bright. 

Rio: That's my Ver! I mean, you look gorgeous in everything you wear, but you're absolutely stunning in that!

Veronica: Thanks, Rio. 

Rio: You look so fantastic you're making me wish I could go with you. Maybe I should ask the bossman if he really needs me here that badly. 

Veronica: Haha! Although honestly, I think I'd feel better if you came along...

My voice came out softer than I'd intended, and I bit my lip, but Rio only smiled again. 

Rio: Are you nervous?

Veronica: Yeah, I guess I am. I mean, it's all so sudden and I've never done anything like this, and...

(I still don't know who I'm actually going with.) A name came to mind, just like it had when Sariel had first mentioned the whole thing, but I pushed it away quickly. (Nope, it's gotta be... I don't know, maybe it's just another minister, like Sariel. Or Yves! Yes, please let it be Yves.) Rio picked up my trunk and held it out to me, and I reached for it, grateful for the distraction from my thoughts. 

Veronica: You're right, I'd better get going. 

Rio: Good luck, Ver! But don't worry-I know everything's gonna go great. You're gonna be fine!

Veronica: I hope so! Thanks, Rio. See you when I get back!

***

Sariel: Your travelling companion would like to discuss a few things before you both depart. 

(Hang on... I know that door...) My heart was suddenly hammering in my chest, and my unease turned into horror as Sariel swung the door open. 

Nokto: Well, what do you know. Looks like even the great Sariel can be negotiated with. 

(I knew it! Ugh, why can't I ever be wrong about things like this?!)

Veronica: Sariel, what part of HIM is suitable for a job like this? 

The words burst out of me before I'd even thought them through. 

Sariel: In spite of his usual behavior here at the palace, he is perfectly suited for this particular job. 

Nokto: It's because of my usual behavior that I'm so suitable for this, actually. Diplomacy requires lots of flattery, you know. 

(Okay, fine, you're a smooth talker, I get it. But I was so, so hoping that I was going on this trip with anyone but you.)

Veronica: I don't suppose there's still time for me to change my mind, Sariel?

Nokto: If you really are that irresponsible, by all means, change your mind. 

(...Dammit. You already know me too well.) 

Sariel: Well then, if you will excuse me, I'm sure I have something that needs doing. Please feel free to quarrel amongst yourselves as you see fit. 

(You really are a devil of the worst possible kind. You set me up!) Sariel ignored my glare as he turned away, and he was still smiling as he shut the door and left me alone with Nokto. (This room reminds me of that first night, and... dammit, why do I have to keep remembering that?) Nokto remined where he was slouched on the sofa, and so I stayed where I was standing as close to the door as I could.