~Chapter 5, Part 5~

(That smile is making me really suspicious, Nokto. What are you planning?) But there was no way I could ask Nokto that in front of our hosts, so I kept my mouth shut as we were shown to the dining hall. Soon we were enjoying a lavish meal, and I listened quietly as they discussed politics and trade, until at last the conversation lulled. 

Nokto: Thank you so much for inviting us to this wonderful feast. And I apologize that you're stuck with my company, when really, my father or one of my brothers should be here instead. 

Merchant: Not at all. We're glad to have you here, Prince Nokto-you understand us better than anyone. 

Nokto: Well, thank you for saying so. That makes me feel better about the situation. But I hope you don't mind my asking... what was it that prompted this particular invitation? 

I didn't know much about diplomacy, but even I could feel the sudden tension in the air that greeted Nokto's question. I glanced across the table at Licht, who hadn't said a single word since he'd arrived. His expression was as bland as ever, but he stopped eating and put his fork down, and I bit my lip uneasily. The merchant cleared his throat pointedly his expression shifting, and something in his eyes told me that some sort of negotiation had begun. 

Merchant: It's nothing important, really. I was just hoping to ask you a question, that's all. Has anything changed recently in the fair kingdom of Rhodolite? 

(Oh no...) I knew immediately that he was referring to the death of the king, and it took all I had in me to keep my expression calm. Nokto was silent, and I wondered what he was thinking. 

Merchant: Or perhaps I should be more direct. Has something happened recently that you're hiding from us? 

Nokto let out a slow, resigned sigh, and my heart began to clamor uneasily. 

Nokto: We've been friends for far too long, haven't we? I should've known I can't hide anything from you. The truth is...

(Nokto- No one is allowed to know about the king's death, right? Especially not anyone outside of Rhodolite. So-) 

Nokto: ...I've gotten engaged. 

(...Wait, WHAT?)