~Chapter 2, Part 2~

(I've read about parties like this in books, but I never imagined I'd ever actually get to attend one...) Elegant music filled with spacious room, and there were nobles everywhere, sipping wine as they talked and laughed together. But even in a room filled to overflowing with people who clearly lived and breathed refinement, Nokto was still a cut above the rest. 

Nobleman 1: Your Highness, it's good to see you again! Thank you for attending last week's banquet. 

Nobleman 2: Your Highness, we're planning another hunting trip soon! You'll join us, won't you? 

They approached him one after another, all of them clearly rich and important, all of them demanding his attention. He stood calmly at the center of it all, his flawless smile making it clear that he knew how to be the star of the show. 

Nokto: Lord Grimault, it's a pleasure to see you again. You must come by the palace soon, and let me repay your hospitality. Lord Dunois, allow me to congratulate you on the birth of your son. May the Dunois family name continue to prosper. 

(And it's more than just your smile. Everything is flawless-your words, your gestures, your tone, even the way you meet their gazes. I got used to you being all flippant and shallow, but... right now, it's painfully clear that you're royalty.)

Noblewoman 1: Prince Nokto! How are you? 

Noblewoman 2: Prince Nokto, I'm so glad you came tonight! 

Nokto: Lady Lily, Lady Marianne, you are both looking exceptionally lovely this evening. 

Nokto graced each woman with a smile, giving each one his full attention for a moment, and his words seemed to ooze more sensuality than they should. (Never mind, my first impression of you was right. You may be royalty, but you're still Prince Sleaze at heart.) I sighed and looked away, just as another man approached, his attire noticeably more extravagant than the other guests. 

???: I always know when you've arrived, Your Highness-the whole place just comes to life all of a sudden. 

Nokto: Good Evening, Your Grace. Thank you for inviting me to join you this evening. 

(Your Grace... that means you're a duke. And it sounds like this is your party. I'd better be careful.) Nokto was as polite with the duke as he'd been with everyone else, and I tried my best to continue to blend into the scenery. (You seem to know each other well, but... then again, you've been like that with just about everyone tonight. I wonder how much time you spend-)

Duke: Well, well, I see you've brought a particularly beautiful young lady with you tonight. 

Nokto: This is Lady Veronica Rodwick. It took a lot of convincing to get her to join me this evening. 

Duke: If you were that determined, then I can only assume she is a very special young woman.

(Ugh, Nokto, did you have to say that? I don't know how I'm supposed to act here! Right, just keep cool, curtsey, and-)

Veronica: Good evening, Your Grace, it's an honor to meet you. My name is Veronica Rodwick. 

Duke: The honor is all mine, Lady Rodwick. I'm surprised we haven't met before-but I'm certain I'd remember someone as pretty as you. May I inquire as to what your relationship with His Highness is?