~Chapter 5, Part 4~

Veronica: Hmm? Rio? Aren't you coming? 

I'd expected Rio to scramble out of the carriage right after me, and I was surprised to see him still sitting inside it. 

Rio: Actually, I didn't want to admit this, but... The bossman only let me come with you on one condition. He said "I expect the dog to wait for his mistress in his kennel." I'm really sorry I can't go in with you, but I promised. So... I'll be waiting here for you when you come out, okay?

Veronica: That's okay, Rio. I understand. See you later then. 

Something didn't feel quite right to me, but Nokto was already walking away, and I gave Rio a quick wave and hurried after him. 

Rio: I'm sorry for lying, Ver...

Rio's quiet, mournful voice broke the silence of the carriage, but there was no one there to hear it. 

Rio: I'm sorry...

Rio stared silently down at his hands, his expression taut. 

Merchant: Prince Nokto, welcome, welcome! You wouldn't believe the rumors I've been hearing about you and your dalliances. 

Nokto: Really? And I've been such a good boy lately, too. Besides, if you want me to get serious you need to introduce me to the right woman. 

(Sariel told me that the invitation came from a very powerful and influential merchant, but... I had no idea Nokto already knew him so well.) They were immediately chatting like old friends, and I couldn't help being startled at the frivolity of the conversation. 

Merchant: Hmm? And who is this young man? He's the spitting image of you, Prince Nokto. 

The man's eyes widened as he caught sight of Licht, and I heard genuine surprise in his voice. 

Nokto: This is my twin brother, Licht. I apologize for not introducing you sooner. 

Merchant: Is that so? I didn't realize you had a twin... I see, I see.

The man murmured the words, his smile turning friendly again, but something about his tone of voice made me uneasy. (I don't know why, but I don't like the way you're saying that. It's like them being twins means something to you. And I don't think it's just that twins are rare. There's something more going on here.) I was still trying to puzzle it out when the man's curious gaze moved past Licht and focused on me.

Merchant: And who is this lovely young lady? 

(Right, time to put on my best smile.) I lifted my skirts in a curtsey, and smiled as gracefully as I knew how, waiting for Nokto to introduce me like he'd said he would. Nokto's eyes flicked in my direction, just for a moment, and then his smile deepened. 

Nokto: I thought I'd introduce her properly a little later. 

(Wait, what? That smile is making me really suspicious, Nokto. What are you planning?)