~Chapter 2, Part 1~

Nokto: Don't tell me you really don't remember anything? We had a delightful evening together... and it started like this.

Nokto lifted his hand, his fingers curving gracefully as he offered it to me. 

Nokto: May I have the honor of escorting you, My Lady? 

Veronica: Oh-

His words dragged a memory to the surface, and I sat up slowly, rubbing my pounding head. (I remember now. Last night-)

**Flashback**

Nokto: May I have the honor of escorting you, My Lady? 

Veronica: No thanks. 

I brushed past Nokto's outstretched hand, but I stopped again almost at once, staring at the dazzling sight before me. The carriage had deposited us outside a mansion that clearly belonged to a very rich noble family. (This place is huge! Does anyone really need a home this big?) But it was the nobles milling around outside that had my attention, all of them so opulently dressed that I felt dazed just looking. 

Nokto: Come on, you must have at least seen this sort of thing before. Anyway, let's go find ourselves some fun. 

(Okay, Ver, keep it together, I mean, yeah, this is pretty overwhelming for me, but- I bet this is totally normal for a prince. And if I want to actually do my job as Belle, I need to stop getting awed by every little thing.) Nokto's dry tone had snapped me out of my daze, and I glanced back at him, just as he slipped past me and headed for the entrance. But he only took a few steps before he paused and turned back again, that deep crimson gaze catching mine and holding it.

Nokto: I probably don't need to remind you of this, but if anyone figures out who you are, it's game over for all of us. So watch what you say. 

His tone was light and cheerful, his eyes dancing, but his voice was pitched for my ears alone, and the meaning of his words sent a chill down my spine. (You're right. No one's meant to know that the king is dead, so I can't let anyone find out that I'm Belle. 

Veronica: Fine, but... what am I supposed to tell people? Am I here as your attendant or something? 

Nokto: Ugh, definitely not. There's nothing sexy about bringing an attendant with me. 

Veronica: Okay, if you say so. But I need a reason for being here, you know. 

Nokto: Isn't it obvious? You're all dressed up, and you're here with me. There's your reason. 

Veronica: Nokto-

His chuckle cut me off as he stepped towards me again, catching hold of my hand and twining his fingers with mine. 

Nokto: You're here as my woman. 

(Hey-) 

His smile was even more dazzling with the glamorous backdrop that framed him, and for a moment, I forgot everything but how handsome he was.