~Chapter 3, Part 3~

(After what Sariel said, I was expecting everyone in the palace to know about last night already. But from the way you're all acting, it's like it never happened. Does that mean you don't know? Because I'd feel much better that way.) It was a slim hope, but I clung to it all the same... until there was a pause in the conversation, and Yves crushed my hope in an instant. 

Yves: If you're done, then I have something to say! And it's about your actions last night! 

Veronica: Oh... so you DID hear... 

Yves: Did you think we wouldn't? After what happened? 

Yves shook his finger accusingly at me, and I winced, looking down at my plate instead of meeting his gaze. 

Yves: I can't believe you let him seduce you on your first night here! What were you thinking?! It should have been obvious from the start what a stupid idea that was! Think before you act next time! 

(Ugh, I should have known everyone was going to interpret it in the worst possible way. Dammit, Nokto! I just-) I was angry and mortified all at once, and as I stared silently down at my plate, I heard Yves gasp softly. 

Yves: Hang on-don't tell me you actually fell for him or something?! 

Veronica: No, I didn't! Don't even suggest something so awful! 

Yves: Right. Well, good. I just wanted to be sure. 

Yves was still staring at me-or glaring, more like-and I was grateful when Jin spoke up, breaking the tense silence. 

Jin: It's a little early to be giving lectures, don't you think? 

Yves: Do you really blame me? Honestly, I can't believe that frivolous fox is twins with our Licht! I mean, Licht is irreproachable! He's the very definition of talent and discipline! That fox could be reborn a hundred times-a thousand!-and he'd still have nothing on our Licht!

Licht: Yves, shut up. Sit down. You're too worked up. 

Licht had been eating quietly, but he glanced up, his flat voice cutting through Yves's rant. 

Yves: But I just can't stand the idea of anyone misunderstanding you because of that flippant fool... 

Licht: If they do, it just means they have poor judgement.