♡CHAPTER 17♡

As we arrived at the grand mansion, I felt a sense of relief wash over me.

Eager to refresh myself, I made my way to my room for a much-needed bath.

However, the water seemed to sting my skin, leaving me feeling utterly miserable.
I vigorously scrubbed my neck, causing it to turn red with tiny dots. Overwhelmed with frustration, tears welled up in my eyes.

Emerging from the shower, I heard a loud thud from outside.

Curiosity piqued, I ventured out to investigate, suspecting it came from Adhrit's study.

Could it be the wind? Had he forgotten to close the window? Approaching his study, I cautiously opened the door, only to find Adhrit standing near the window, seemingly having closed it.

Startled, he turned to face me, dressed in a black t-shirt and sweatpants.

"Ah, the noise must have startled you," he remarked, stepping closer to me and studying my face.

I averted my gaze, feeling self-conscious.

"Why are you so careless?" he questioned, shaking his head before leaving the study. "Wait here," he instructed.

Within moments, he returned with a towel and placed it on my head. I took hold of it, unsure of his intentions.

"What's the point of changing clothes if you're just going to get wet again?" he mused, as I half-heartedly ran the towel through my hair.

Eventually, he took the towel from me and gently dried my hair himself. As he did so, our faces were mere inches apart, and he paused, locking eyes with me.

"Did you cry?" he inquired, causing me to avert my gaze once more.

"Is your grandfather alright?" he asked.

"Yes, he's fine," I replied, looking down.

"Sana, look at me," he urged, his voice gentle instead of his usual stern tone that I was accustomed to.

I slowly met his gaze.

"Before I met you at the hospital, I'm certain something must have happened," he stated, and I searched his eyes for something, though I wasn't sure what it was.

But I desperately needed that something.

"I... I was..." I began, but he interrupted me.

"You don't have to tell me if you're uncomfortable. But remember, I'm here to listen whenever and wherever," he assured me.

He was about to leave when I grabbed onto his shirt, causing him to stop and turn around. A tear escaped my eye.

"Why are you being so kind?" I questioned, and he turned back to face me.

"You were supposed to be cold towards me," I said, tears streaming down my face.

"What are you saying? And why are you crying again?" he asked

And this time, I cried like a child, wailing and sobbing, rubbing my eyes.

"Hush, hush, hush," Adhrit whispered, placing his hands gently on my shoulders in an attempt to calm me down.

But my tears continued to stream down my face, a torrent of pent-up anger, frustration, and a myriad of other emotions.

"Please, don't cry," he pleaded, his voice filled with helplessness.

After a moment, he pulled me into a warm embrace, his hand softly patting my back.

As comforting as it was, his actions only served to intensify my inner turmoil. It would be difficult for me to view this marriage as a mere convenience when I yearned for something more.