068 calm before the storm

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

Blinking a few times, it took a while for her brain to piece together the reason for her surroundings. She wasn't in her bleak apartment, tucked in warm within the comfort of her bed. Light escaped from the windows, the sheer curtains unqualified for their role. The morning light so early prompted an ache within her forehead. It was then that she detected the warmth that tickled her shoulder.

"Morning," a husk voice whispered into her ears. In a daze, she lifted her head up, eyes perceiving Theseus before her brain could catch up. The light made her groan as her head fell back down. She could feel the chuckle that escaped his lips as he tucked stray pieces of hair behind her ear. "I take it that mornings have never done you any favours."

"Waking up has got to be one of the worst parts of the day," she started, using all of her strength to push herself up. The mop on top of her head felt uneven as she tried to fix the mess she had created in her sleep. Her eyes longed to be closed again but she focused on the man in front of her.

She must have looked like mayhem but nonetheless he smiled fondly at her. He was already dressed in his white collared shirt, the top button undone. His dark grey sweater and matching suit jacket lay somewhere here. Ariadne knew that it was too cold for him in Paris to be going out like that.

Placing a tender kiss on her forehead, he moved away from her, causing Ariadne to miss the warmth that he always provided. "Get ready. I'll make breakfast."

"What? No house elf this time?" she joked, palms pressed firmly into the soft mattress that held her up.

He turned to her, a smile etched on his face. "You and your pureblood luxury," he chortled. Despite his humorous tone, his words cut deep into her heart. As the door closed, she dropped her smile. He hadn't meant any harm, she knew that, however his words still stung. It was a reminder that the legacy from her birthright could not be escaped, no matter how hard Ariadne tried to run away from it. It hung over her head, like a medal that was stolen from the rightful winner. Those who endorsed her cunningness would applaud. Those who knew she did not deserve it would castigate her.

At his comment, the day felt sombre. Ariadne could feel it peering out the window. People were rushing by, hoping to start their morning early and Ariadne couldn't shake the unease that hung from the unbeknownst future. Maybe today was the day where the prophesied destruction reigned, a choice to be made that would ruin or save so many. Or maybe, her mind was leading her down the path of beating a dead horse.

She found him in the kitchen, after she had dressed herself for the day. The smell of freshly cooked bacon wafted through the air. His back was turned to her as he prepared breakfast and a small smile made its way to her face. She didn't realise how much she wanted him. To see him after waking up, to be near him, to adapt to a mundane routine with him.

"Well hello," he chuckled, feeling Ariadne's arms wrap around his torso. She stood on her tiptoes, resting her chin on his shoulder as she peered over. "Finally awake, huh?"

"Depends. Is there coffee?"

He nodded his head to the counter, the teacup held dark steaming liquid. She hummed with delight, unwrapping herself from Theseus to reach the cup. He watched her, unaware that he was plagued with the same thoughts Ariadne had prior. It was a feeling that crept up onto him, something that he hadn't felt in so long and not at all at this intensity.

"What?" she queried, noticing how his stare seemed to intently pierce through.

He shook his head softly, "Nothing. Breakfast is ready, my love."

Ariadne stood with her finger skimming across a page. She was looking for clues, something to bring them closer to Grindelwald. The French Auror Office was filled with British and French aurors overcrowding every desk available, that they had to get extra chairs for the newcomers. Despite that, they spoke in hushed tones, all aware that their works were too important to get distracted, not today at least.

Mathéo walked in with a group of aurors, their last adventure unknown and he made his way over to Theseus. "You wouldn't happen to be related to Monsieur Newt Scamander, would you?"

"Did something happen to him?" Theseus questioned, his voice filled with perplexity. At the mention of his name, Ariadne pretended that her head didn't perk up as she moved towards them, wanting to eavesdrop more efficiently.

Taking Theseus' concern as a 'yes,' Mathéo continued, "Well, he was caught in quite the predicament last night."

"Why wasn't I told?"

"I'm telling you now, no?" Mathéo shot back, amused. His laid back attitude caused Theseus' eyes to shoot towards Ariadne, hoping that she had witnessed his anomaly. Their eyes connected for a brief moment as he conveyed his confusion.

The sharp sound of Ariadne snapping the file shut caused Mathéo's head to turn. "Where was he?" Ariadne asked.

"On a bridge, caught with a zouwu," Mathéo answered.

"A zouwu? They're native to China, they shouldn't be here," Ariadne declaimed, a little lost in her own thoughts. She received two strange looks from the men in front of her. "What? I read his book."

Turning back to a dumbfounded Theseus, Mathéo continued, "We had to obliviate a whole crowd of no-maj. Do not worry, it's being handled." He placed a hand on the taller wizard's shoulder before being whisked away by another auror.

"I'm sure it wasn't his fault," Ariadne whispered lowly, her hand ghosting his. She could see the anxiety building up, responsibility of an older brother bubbling. She wanted to give him the comfort she wished to provide, but publicity wasn't something she wanted to gain. Theseus was staring straight through her, hidden disappointment covering his features when she retracted her hand.

"You always defend him," he commented.

"You need to have more faith in him," she shot back, though not unkindly.

Instead of fighting her, what she assumed would happen, Theseus nodded, "Okay." She stared up at him, lost within the sincerity of his blue eyes. Before she could be caught staring by any passersby, Ariadne turned her gaze to the pin board in front of her, Grindelwald's smirk staring right at her.

"Do you think he'll show up today?"

He glanced down at her, noticing the slight tremble in her voice. Maybe she felt it too, the anxiety of a gut feeling with the cause unknown. He followed her eyes, watching as Grindelwald peered into his soul, his wicked lips lifting. It sent a chill down Theseus' body, wishing to the stars above that the worse would not come. "I hope not."

[1174 words]

a/n

foreshadowing for an impending doom anyone? 

so sorry for the silence, i have literally been jammed packed with school and every ounce of freetime was wasted by writers block and then inspiration for other works lol, but here i am, finishing a chapter i started so long ago. 

kjlyds