viii. 𝗋𝖾𝗌𝗉𝗈𝗇𝗌𝗂𝖻𝗅𝖾

Lori approached as Lily was packing the last of her and Sutton's belongings into their car. Everyone was bustling around, preparing for the journey to the CDC. Jim, still holding on to life, was riding in Dale's RV, while the rest of the group had split into smaller clusters, each heading to different vehicles.

"You two gonna be alright by yourself?" Lori asked, her tone a mix of concern and curiosity.

"Yeah, we'll be fine," Lily replied, zipping up her duffle bag with a sigh. "Just hoping we've got enough gas to make it. The car's not the most fuel-efficient, and we used a good amount on the way up the mountain."

Before Lori could respond, Daryl appeared almost out of nowhere, his sudden presence making Lily jump slightly. "How much gas you got?" he asked, his voice rough and direct.

Lily turned to him, her eyebrows raised in surprise. "Uh, a little over a quarter tank. I know it's not ideal, but I figured—"

"Nah, I'll siphon it," he interrupted, shaking his head with a decisive look. Lily was taken aback, not entirely sure what he meant. Though she appreciated his occasional help, it was unusual for him to approach her directly without her first seeking him out.

"What?" she asked, her confusion evident as he walked towards her gas tank without waiting for a response. He grabbed a red gas can and a hose from the back of his truck, which was parked behind hers, his motorcycle strapped to the rear.

"You don't have enough gas. If you stop, you'll just slow us down. I'll take the extra gas and you two can ride with me," Daryl said matter-of-factly, his focus already on the task at hand. Lily, realizing there was little point in arguing, simply nodded.

"Thanks," she said, glancing at Lori, who was watching with a faint smile. Lori's expression hinted at amusement, but also a touch of disapproval, which Lily didn't fully understand. As she slung her duffle bag over her shoulder, she grabbed Sutton's things and tossed them alongside Daryl's gear in the truck's bed.

"I don't think I've ever seen him offer to help before," Lori commented, still observing the exchange.

Lily shrugged, trying to keep her tone light. "To be fair, I don't think I've asked for help before this. We're probably all doing things we wouldn't have considered before all this happened."

Lori nodded in agreement, and they turned their attention to the gathering crowd as Shane and Rick began calling everyone together. Sutton, who had been sitting with Sophia, was still trying to comfort her friend after the loss of her father.

"Everybody listen up!" Shane's voice rang out, cutting through the murmurs. "Those of you with CB radios, we'll be on channel 40. Keep the chatter to a minimum. If you've got a problem and can't reach us on the CB or get a signal, hit your horn once. That'll stop the caravan. Any questions?"

Morales was the first to speak up, but he didn't ask a question. "We're not going," he said, his tone firm as all eyes turned to him and his family.

Rick and Shane exchanged worried glances, clearly concerned. "We have family in Birmingham," Morales' wife explained. "We want to be with them."