xxviii. 𝗇𝗈𝗍 𝖺 𝖽𝖾𝗆𝗈𝖼𝗋𝖺𝖼𝗒

Lily and Sutton sat quietly in the back of Glenn and Maggie's car as it rumbled down the highway

Lily and Sutton sat quietly in the back of Glenn and Maggie's car as it rumbled down the highway. The car's interior was dimly lit by the fading sunlight outside, casting long shadows on the walls. Since Daryl's bike could only accommodate two, he had driven with Carol, leaving Lily to crack a joke about him needing a sidecar.

They had been driving for several hours, the shadows growing longer as evening approached. The car finally came to a halt on the deserted highway. The headlights cut through the growing darkness, illuminating the empty stretch of road and the scattered debris around them.

Daryl, who had been riding at the front, glanced over at Rick, who was already making his way over. "You out?" he asked, his voice a mix of concern and weariness.

Rick nodded, his face etched with exhaustion. "Running on fumes," he admitted, gesturing to the fuel gauge which was perilously low.

Maggie looked around the desolate highway, her anxiety evident. "We can't stay here," she said, her voice tinged with apprehension as she scanned the surroundings.

Glenn's brow furrowed as he considered their options. "We can't all fit in one car," he noted, his tone reflecting the gravity of their situation.

Rick took a deep breath, trying to remain composed. "We'll have to make a run for some gas in the morning," he said, trying to project a sense of control.

Carol's face was a mask of worry. "And stay here?" she asked, her voice betraying her unease about their current predicament.

"It's freezing. We're gonna have to build a fire," Lily interjected, her breath visible in the chilly evening air.

"You go out looking for firewood, stay close," Daryl instructed, his gaze sweeping over the group. "Only got so many arrows. How you doing on ammo?"

Lily shook her head, a rueful smile crossing her face. "None. Used it all getting here. Had to use my knife most of the way."

Maggie, still visibly agitated, chimed in. "We can't just sit here with our asses hanging out." Her frustration was clear, reflecting the sense of vulnerability they all felt.

"Watch your mouth," Hershel scolded, his tone authoritative. "Everyone stop panicking and listen to Rick."

Rick took charge, quickly formulating a plan. "Alright, we'll set up a perimeter," he said decisively. "In the morning, we'll find gas and some supplies. We'll keep pushing on."

Maggie wasn't ready to concede. "Glenn and I can go make a run now, try and scrounge up some gas," she suggested, her voice filled with determination.

"No, we stay together," Rick replied firmly. "God forbid something happens and people get stranded without a car."

"Rick, we're stranded now," Glenn sighed, his frustration evident.

Rick's voice took on a tone of reluctant optimism. "I know it looks bad. We've all been through hell and worse, but at least we found each other. I wasn't sure, I really wasn't, but we did. We're together. We keep it that way."