xxxiii. 𝗋𝖾𝗆𝖾𝗆𝖻𝖾𝗋 𝗒𝗈𝗎

"Lily, get out of here," Daryl said urgently, spotting her approaching with Rick

"Lily, get out of here," Daryl said urgently, spotting her approaching with Rick. His voice was edged with worry as he saw the tension mounting.

Lily turned to Tomas, who stood defiantly at the gate. "Lily? Thought we could only call you Evangeline? Guess that's different for guys you're fucking, huh?" Tomas sneered, his tone dripping with scorn.

"Hey, you wanna die?!" Daryl shouted, his anger palpable.

"Tomas, I once told you that you'd spend the rest of your life in here for what you did. Drop it or I make sure that happens right here, right now," Lily said, her voice unwavering as she aimed her gun directly at him.

"Everyone relax. There's no need for this," Rick said, trying to defuse the situation before anyone else got hurt.

"How many of you are in there?" Tomas demanded, glancing over at the cell block they were protecting.

"Too many of you to handle," Rick responded, keeping his gaze steady.

Tomas eyed the group, weighing their words. "You guys rob a bank or something? Why don't you take him to a hospital?"

T-Dog, Daryl, Rick, and Lily exchanged looks, a silent communication passing between them.

"How long have you been locked in that cafeteria?" Rick asked, his voice calm but insistent.

Tomas hesitated, clearly rattled by the question. "Going on like 10 months."

"A riot broke out," another man, Big Tiny, added. "Never seen anything like it."

"Attica on speed, man," another inmate, Axel, chimed in, his tone matter-of-fact.

"Ever heard about dudes going cannibal, dying coming back to life?" Andrew asked, his voice tinged with disbelief. "Crazy."

"One guard looked out for us, locked us up in the cafeteria. Told us to sit tight, threw me this piece, said he'd be right back," Tomas explained.

"Yeah, and that was 292 days ago," Oscar added, his voice weary.

"94 according to my calculations—" Axel started, but Tomas cut him off sharply.

"Shut up!" Tomas snapped, irritation clear in his voice.

"We were thinking that the Army or the National Guard should be showing up any day now," Oscar said, his hope evident.

"There is no Army," Rick said firmly.

"What do you mean?" Big Tiny asked, his voice filled with confusion.

"There's no government, no hospitals, no police. It's all gone," Rick said.

Tomas scoffed and shifted his gaze to Lily. "Guess you're pretty useless now."

"I've adapted," she replied coolly.