xxiv. 𝗌𝖼𝗋𝖾𝖺𝗆

The next morning, the group gathered for what they hoped would be a fresh start, but their calm was shattered when Rick, Glenn, and Hershel returned, not only safe but with an unexpected guest: Randall

The next morning, the group gathered for what they hoped would be a fresh start, but their calm was shattered when Rick, Glenn, and Hershel returned, not only safe but with an unexpected guest: Randall. The young man was badly injured, his leg in critical condition. Rick explained that Randall belonged to the group that had previously tried to kill them, and since his own group had abandoned him, Rick felt compelled to bring him back.

Hershel had taken Randall to the bedroom to tend to his injuries, leaving the others in the dining room to discuss their next steps.

"We couldn't just leave him out there. He would have bled out," Rick said firmly.

"It's getting worse in town," Glenn added quietly, his eyes reflecting the gravity of the situation.

"What do we do with him?" Andrea asked, her tone a mix of concern and frustration.

Before anyone could respond, Hershel walked in, his face weary but resolute. "I've repaired his calf muscle as best as I could. He'll likely have nerve damage and won't be able to walk for at least a week."

"And then what? We're supposed to just keep him here?" Lily interjected, her voice tinged with frustration. "He tried to kill us."

"No, we're going to give him a canteen, take him to the main road, and send him on his way," Rick decided, his tone brooking no argument.

"Isn't that the same as leaving him for the walkers?" Andrea challenged, her eyes narrowing.

"We should just kill him," Sutton's voice cut through the room, startling everyone. Since Sophia's death, Sutton had been unusually quiet, but now her words were sharp and filled with a cold logic that was jarring coming from someone so young.

"Sutton!" Lily exclaimed, her voice a mix of shock and anger. "Where is this coming from?"

"He was going to kill us first!" Sutton's voice trembled with a mixture of fear and rage. "You won't give me a gun and you keep putting me in danger!" With that, she stormed out of the room, pushing past Daryl who stood silently watching.

Lily, her frustration mounting, leapt from her chair and hurried after her daughter. "Sutton, wait!" she called, her voice echoing through the empty halls. "Sutton, come back!"

Sutton stopped in her tracks, turning to face her mother with a defiant look. "Is that what you think?" Lily demanded as she reached her daughter. "That I can't protect you?"

"I don't know!" Sutton shouted back, tears streaming down her face.

Lily's anger began to wane as she knelt in front of her daughter, gently taking her hands. "Sutton, listen to me very carefully," she said, her voice softening. "I know we're part of this group and they're our friends, but it will always be you and me, no matter what happens. I promise you, no matter what I have to do or who I have to hurt, I will keep you safe. I will always protect you."