xxxix. 𝗆𝖺𝗄𝗂𝗇𝗀 𝖺 𝗌𝗍𝖺𝗇𝖽

Lily stood near the overturned bus in the yard with Michonne, their eyes scanning the perimeter

Lily stood near the overturned bus in the yard with Michonne, their eyes scanning the perimeter. The tension in the air was palpable; the group was outside, bracing themselves for any sign of the Governor's imminent arrival. Rick had been wandering outside the fence for hours, searching for something—anything—to cling to.

"He's been out there since last night," Lily sighed, her voice heavy with worry.

"Who'd he lose?" Michonne asked, her gaze following Rick's solitary figure.

"His wife. His best friend. And a handful of others," Lily explained, her voice reflecting the weight of their shared loss.

"And you?" Michonne pressed, sensing something unspoken in Lily's demeanor.

Lily looked at her, puzzled, as Michonne clarified. "You've got this look on your face."

"I didn't lose anyone," Lily replied with a small, rueful laugh. "Believe it or not, it's just regular ol' non-walker-related guy problems."

Michonne nodded, a trace of a smile touching her lips. "That seems like a good problem to have nowadays."

Before Lily could respond, a gunshot echoed through the yard, and Axel collapsed onto the ground. "Shit!" she cursed as she and Michonne quickly ducked behind the bus. They peered out cautiously and saw a truck parked outside the gate, its presence ominous. More gunfire erupted, the source hidden behind the chaos.

"Take the back!" Michonne shouted as she darted to the front of the bus. Lily nodded, sprinting to the rear. She pulled out the machine gun that Glenn had insisted she carry, using the bus as cover. She fired occasional shots, but her angle made it difficult to get a clear view of the attackers.

Lily's mind raced with worry for Sutton, who was back inside with the others. She hoped Sutton was safe and managing well, but her concern remained heavy. Knowing Sutton, she was likely armed and ready to protect their home.

After a few minutes of intense gunfire, the area fell eerily quiet. Lily glanced at Michonne, their mutual unease growing. It seemed too easy—there was no way the Governor and his men had been taken down so quickly.

Suddenly, a truck barreled through the gates, coming to a stop just a few feet from the bus. "What the fuck is that?" Lily asked, her heart racing as she prepared for the worst.

When the back door of the truck swung open, her fears were confirmed. "Fuck!" she shouted as dozens of walkers began to spill out, their guttural growls filling the air. The Governor's men continued to fire, adding to the chaos and making it nearly impossible to manage the onslaught.

The truck's driver leaped out, firing at Lily and Michonne before retreating back through the gates. Lily aimed at the walkers, hoping the others inside could handle the attackers. The sounds of the truck's engine fading away signaled the Governor's retreat, leaving them surrounded by the undead.