xxv. 𝖿𝗂𝗏𝖾 𝗆𝗂𝗇𝗎𝗍𝖾 𝖼𝗈𝗇𝗏𝖾𝗋𝗌𝖺𝗍𝗂𝗈𝗇

Randall was sweating profusely, his screams reverberating through the barn as he squirmed in his chair

Randall was sweating profusely, his screams reverberating through the barn as he squirmed in his chair. Lily knelt in front of him, her gaze steely and unyielding as she forced a thin splinter of wood beneath his middle fingernail.

"Tell us about your friends," Lily demanded, her voice cold and precise.

"I did! I barely knew those guys. I met 'em on the road!" Randall pleaded, his voice breaking with pain.

"How many are in your group?" Daryl asked from his position behind Lily, his eyes locked on Randall.

Lily didn't wait for an answer. She pressed the splinter deeper, causing Randall to scream in agony, his body straining against his restraints. "Answer the question, Randall," Lily's tone was sing-song, but her eyes were hard as stone.

"Uh, 30! Thirty men. Thirty guys," Randall cried out.

"Where are they?" Lily's voice was sharp, demanding.

When Randall hesitated, Lily shoved the splinter in further, not easing her pressure. Randall's scream pierced the barn, his face a mask of raw pain and desperation.

"I don't know! I swear! We never stayed in one place more than a night!" Randall howled.

"Scouting? Planning on staying local?" Daryl pressed, stepping closer.

"I—I don't know. They—they left me behind," Randall sobbed, his voice cracking.

Lily sighed, removing the splinter and standing up. "I believe you. They left you, and now you don't know where they went," she said, her tone carrying an edge of finality as Randall's shoulders slumped in relief.

"But I know you're still hiding something useful," Lily said, turning to Daryl. "I need something sharper. One of your arrows."

"Wait! Wait!" Randall shouted, gasping for breath as Lily and Daryl exchanged a look. "They have weapons. Heavy stuff, automatics. But—I didn't do anything."

"No? Your group shot at our friends, tried to take this farm, and you're just an innocent bystander?" Lily's voice was filled with icy skepticism.

"Yes!" Randall insisted, his voice pleading.

"I don't believe you, Randall," Lily said, her voice cold as she accepted an arrow from Daryl.

"No! No, these people took me in. They're not just guys, they're a whole group—men, women, kids, just like you people. I thought I'd have a better chance with them, you know? But..." Randall's voice faltered.

"But what, Randall?" Lily's patience was wearing thin.

"We went out scavenging, just the men. One night, we found this little campsite. A man and his two daughters. Teenagers. Really young. Really cute," Randall's voice was trembling, his eyes showing a flicker of regret.