xxxvi. 𝖿𝗈𝗎𝗇𝖽

"Lily, you've gotta eat something," Maggie said with a sigh, holding out a plate of food

"Lily, you've gotta eat something," Maggie said with a sigh, holding out a plate of food. Lily, on her hands and knees, was scrubbing at a stubborn bloodstain on the floor of the cell block. Her hands were raw, and the acrid smell of bleach was almost overwhelming. She shook her head, too focused on the task at hand to pay much attention to Maggie's concern. Maggie and Glenn had returned with cleaning supplies and formula for the baby, but Lily was barely aware of their presence, consumed by the need to keep busy.

"At least take a break," Maggie urged, her voice tinged with worry. "Get some fresh air, you're gonna give yourself a headache."

"I already have a headache," Lily mumbled, her voice muffled by the strain of scrubbing.

"When Daryl comes back with her, don't you want to be feeling your best?" Maggie pressed, her tone a mix of concern and encouragement.

"What if he doesn't come back with her?" Lily asked, her voice cracking as she spoke. Maggie gently grabbed Lily's arms to stop her relentless cleaning.

"You don't believe that," Maggie said firmly.

"But it's a possibility, right? I mean she could be—" Lily choked out a sob, the tears she had been holding back finally spilling over. Maggie pulled her into a tight embrace, letting her cry into her chest. The sound of Lily's sobs cut through the silence, each one a testament to the fear and anguish she was feeling. The others who had been around watched silently, their expressions reflecting their shared heartbreak. It was a rare sight; Lily, who had always been strong and composed, was now overwhelmed with grief.

The door to the cell block creaked open, and Maggie looked up to see Daryl walking in, with Carol following closely behind. In Daryl's arms lay Sutton, unconscious but alive. Lily's breath caught in her throat as she saw them, her legs trembling as she forced herself to her feet, Maggie steadying her.

"She's okay," Daryl rushed to explain, his voice filled with a mix of relief and exhaustion. "Dehydrated, I think."

"Hershel!" Glenn called out urgently as Daryl carefully laid Sutton down on the bed in the room she shared with Beth. Lily dashed over to her daughter's side, her heart pounding as she took in Sutton's disheveled state. Sutton was covered in dried blood and sweat, her small body limp but her chest rising and falling steadily. Hershel entered with Maggie behind him, carrying a jug of water.

"Let me look at her," Hershel said, his voice calm but authoritative. Daryl gently pulled Lily back, allowing Hershel to check Sutton for any other injuries. Lily's eyes never left her daughter, watching intently as Hershel examined her.

"I ran into her when I was heading back here," Carol said, her voice strained. "We fought off some walkers before we had to hide in a broom closet."

Lily glanced at Carol, noting her own exhaustion and bruised appearance. "Are you okay?" she asked.