ix. 𝖼𝖽𝖼

They hadn't even made it halfway down the road when Dale's RV came to a shuddering stop, forcing the rest of the caravan to halt behind him. White smoke billowed from the RV's engine, a clear sign of trouble.

"I told you we'd never get far with that hose," Dale said, frustration evident in his voice. He gestured towards the old van that had been stolen in Atlanta, likely by Merle. "I needed the one from the cube van."

Rick, his brow furrowed with concern, asked, "Can you jury-rig it?"

Dale held up his hands in resignation. "That's all it's been so far—more duct tape than hose. And now I'm out of duct tape," he said, his tone heavy with defeat. Lily glanced around, noting that with the RV out of commission, they'd have to squeeze into the remaining vehicles. Space was tight; people would either have to sit on each other's laps or crowd into the two pickup trucks they had.

Shane peered through his binoculars, his eyes narrowing as he scanned the horizon. "I see something up ahead—a gas station, if we're lucky."

Jacqui, who had been attending to Jim, burst out of the RV in a hurry, nearly bumping into Lily. "Y'all, Jim... it's bad. I don't think he can take anymore," she said urgently before darting back inside the RV.

Lily's heart sank as she thought about Jim. She hoped desperately that he might find a miracle at the CDC, but the reality of his deteriorating condition weighed heavily on her. The prospect of him turning and putting them all at risk made her anxious.

"Hey, Rick. You want to hold down the fort? I'll drive ahead and see what I can find," Shane offered.

"Yeah, I'll come along too," T-Dog added, ready to back Shane up.

"Y'all keep your eyes open. We'll be right back," Shane said as he and T-Dog prepared to leave.

─── · 。゚☆: .☽ . :☆゚. ───

About an hour later, Shane and T-Dog returned with the parts needed to patch up the RV, but the situation with Jim had only worsened. After a brief consultation, Rick decided it was futile to continue to the CDC. Jim, his wife, and children were all gone. He wanted to die on his own terms, his last wish being to be left behind. He wanted to pass away where he could be with his family again.

"It's what he says he wants," Rick said, his voice heavy with the weight of Jim's decision.

"And he's lucid?" Carol asked, concerned about Jim's state of mind.

"He seems to be. I would say yes," Rick replied, rubbing his face in weariness.

"Back at the camp, when I mentioned Daryl might be right and you shut me down, you misunderstood," Dale said. "I wasn't suggesting killing him. I was going to suggest we ask Jim what he wants. And now, it seems we have our answer."