xxxv. 𝗍𝖽𝗈𝗀

Lily and T-Dog shared a solemn look as Rick announced the fate of Oscar and Axel

Lily and T-Dog shared a solemn look as Rick announced the fate of Oscar and Axel. As they followed after them, Daryl quickly pulled her to the side.

"Sorry," he said, his gaze steady and sincere.

She looked at him, puzzled. "For what?"

"Back there. I didn't mean—"

"Daryl," she laughed softly. "It's fine. You're allowed to have a different opinion."

"Yeah. But I feel like that's the first time it ever happened," he said, his tone a mix of regret and resignation.

"Maybe you're right. Being here, being safe, happy. Maybe it's making me a little too optimistic," she told him, her fingers tracing the edge of his jacket as they walked toward the gate where they'd parked the vehicles.

"You sayin' you were wrong?" he asked, a hint of an annoying smile curling at the corner of his mouth.

"No, asshole," she said, playfully shoving him. "Just saying there might be a minuscule chance you're right."

"Mm-hmm," he mumbled, ignoring the roll of her eyes as he walked to his bike, starting it with a rumbling noise. Glenn got into the last car, while Maggie and Lily stayed at the gate, maneuvering it open and closed to let the others inside.

Axel, trying to get on Daryl's good side, approached him with a forced casualness. "Twin cylinder. Is that a Triumph?"

"Don't even look at it," Daryl grumbled as he got the bike started, its engine making a clunky, uneven sound.

"Didn't want it bored out? Sounds like it could use a tune-up. I'm pretty handy with a wrench," Axel shouted over the engine, his enthusiasm met with Daryl's stoic indifference.

Lily, standing beside Maggie at the gate, felt a pang of nervous anticipation as they closed it behind the last vehicle. They hurriedly joined the others, helping T-Dog and Carol back the remaining cars against the fence. The sun was setting, casting long shadows over the prison yard.

From her vantage point inside the truck, Lily watched as Lori, Beth, Carl, and Sutton helped Hershel, who was learning to walk with crutches they had managed to find. The sight was a rare moment of peace, a brief reprieve from the turmoil they had endured. Hershel, once thought lost, was alive and in good spirits. Yet, the momentary calm was shattered by the low, menacing growl of approaching walkers.

Carl's sudden shout pierced the air. "Walkers! Look out!"

Panic surged through Lily as she turned to see a large, seething mass of walkers pouring towards them. "Oh, god," she mumbled, her eyes darting to Sutton, who joined Lori and Carl in shooting as many walkers as they could. Lily raced toward the prison section, her gun blazing as she fought to keep the relentless tide of walkers at bay.

But no matter how many she downed, more kept coming, like a wave that couldn't be stopped. Beth managed to get Hershel back inside, but the overwhelming din of gunfire and the roar of walkers drowned out Rick, Glenn, and Daryl's desperate shouts for them to fall back.