𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐍𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐖𝐞 𝐌𝐞𝐭

[luena]
[ song inspired — the night we met by Lord Huron ]
[a/n — I'm not sorry for this. the first ep was hauntingly beautiful.  ]
[ warnings — might make you cry... idk ]

—————————————————

in the Vale, Lucerys had gained the support of his kin Lady Jeyne Arryn. He often spent his days being taught by the Knights of the Vale and learning about Jeyne and what little she remembered of his grandmother Aemma Arryn. The Vale had done the young prince beautifully. He hit a growth spurt while away and his clothing had to be changed out. for black and red the colors of his mother to a bright blue with a little gray. The prince dubbed the Pearl of Driftmark and the Pearl of the Moon. The older men and women often compared him to Aemma.

At dinner he would eat with the low born listening to their stories of the past and the dragons that flew above them. Songs and poems written about the young prince. Lucerys walked beside Jeyne through her courtroom.

“How are you liking it here Luke?” she asked.

“It's lovely, my Lady. even Arrax has taken quite a liking to the Mountains of the Moon,” the prince smiled at her. their smiles are slightly similar. Truth be told Jeyne loved Lucerys. She heard rumors of his parentage but she simply believed the Arryn and Baratheon blood finally had taken over the worthless silver looks of Targaryen's.

“After this war is done and finished I would like for you to come and visit. bring your betrothal,” she teased him.

She saw how his cheeks bloomed a bright red at the mention of his future wife, Rhaena. A maester entered the room with a scroll in hand.

“apologies my lady, my prince, I have news from Dragonstone,” he says.

Luke softly frowned as Jeyne opened the sealed scroll and her eyes scanned it. Luke felt a lump in his throat and his stomach turned sour as she put the letter down.

“The Princesses Baela and Rhaena were involved in an altercation with Prince Aemond whilst leaving Storms End. Princess Rhaena did not make it. they seem to not have been able to find her body yet. Baela was found and brought home but she too lost her dragon,” she says.

Lucerys went numb. He walked away from Jeyne slowly and stood outside on the balcony looking out at the mountains. his nails dug into the meat of his palms and tears burned his eyes. he could only blink the tears away before coming to one fatal conclusion.

revenge.

10 Days Later

Rhaenyra stood in front of the Painted Table. her eyes were puffy from crying and her voice sore from screaming the loss of her stepdaughter Rhaena. Daemon plotted in front of her. Baela had been put on bed rest and Jace simply waited for the long awaited return of his brother Lucerys. His younger brother Joffrey worried endlessly for his brother to return home once and for all. He unfortunately did feel the death of Rhaena as hard as everyone else. He was only six and much younger when they had started living together. all the poor queen mother could do is fear her son would be safe.

🫀

Lucerys climbed up a side of a hill and on the top was the aftermath of burnt ships. He took in a shaky breath at the smell of burnt wood, burning flesh, and blood. The triarchy tried to deal with him when he flew past them during his search for Rhaena. he had been flying nonstop for days searching Shipbreakers Bay and surrounding islands. leaving the crime behind he flew back to the bay. He saw a group of men pulling at a dragon wing out of the water. He pulled the reins and dove down towards them. The men yelled and moved away from the wing and Arrax landed harshly on the sand. Ignoring every pain in his body, he stepped down the saddle and jumped off Arrax. He ran to the wing and slowly stopped when he recognized the pattern of the wing.

Moondancer.

he dropped to his knees pulling back the net and finding a red and black cloak. He tried to ignore the full pain coming back to his chest as he pulled it to his chest. a small trinket fell out. With shaky hands he held a small necklace with a seashell and a pearl inside.

Rheana's.

He gifted the necklace to her after a successful voyage with his grandsire. tears sprung quickly and his sobbing grew loud. He pressed his face into the cloak searching for the lost scent of his betrothed. It should've been him at Storms End. Anyone else but the girls. Clinging to her cloak he wanted to suffocate and be swallowed up by the sea that now held his wife. Before they were the same. He was a Velaryon who could not control the sea and she was a Targaryen who could not fly. He could now control the sea but she would never fly.

Broken sobs, hiccups, burning pain in his veins, chest hurting from his lack of breath, bruises and cuts on his legs. Lucerys doesn't know how long he sat there crying his broken heart out to the gods. begging for them to take him instead. they had taken his baby sister and now his future wife. Nearly his mother.

🫀

Baela held Jace's hand as they watched the funeral pyre burn in front of them. Rhaenys and Corlys could barely look at the fire. another piece of their daughter was gone. A sharp roar echoed in the sky. Arrax had been flying for ten days straight, he was hungry, angry, and got bigger his time away. He violently landed down beside the pyre. a nasty roar thrown to Baela and Jace. Again Lucerys climbed off quickly and jumped off the dragon. Rhaenyra hoped to never see her son in such grief but seeing Luke broke her. Jace was taken aback by his brother's dire state. frizzy untamed curls, swollen eyes, ash and blood covered. no one said anything as be wobbled towards the fire and tossed in the piece of cloak he had. his fist clung around the necklace. he had hoped to had rid all of his tears.

he was wrong.

his knees gave out and tears followed. Rhaenyra knelt down and he fell into her arms. cries of I'm sorry left luke. Again time ceased to exist. he doesn't know how long he stayed in his mother's arms and he didn't know when his tears stopped. he felt a warm hand on his cheek.

“it's okay. you'll always have, my love. we will meet again.” Rhaena's voice echoed in his head.

He was comforted by her voice and managed to find a little sliver of peace. He would be haunted by her ghost for the rest of eternity. At least she would always be near.