Chapter 27

Deranged laughter of the lunatics.

These were the only things heard in the AST base that was once the barracks for the soldiers who dedicated their lives to fight against Spirits. Now, it was nothing but a decrepit site thanks to Nightmare's attack- no, decrepit isn't the right word. The very place is ruined, and lights were flickering as each moment passes, creating a macabre area filled with Kurumi clones that patrol the area. They made sure none of the captives escaped with the threat of death. 

"She sure made a mess out of this place," Kaede remarked with a jeering tone as she silently took down one of the clones. "Yeah. To be honest, this is an eye opener for me, really. There's a lot of gap between us and the Spirits. We lack the firepower to take them down by our own..." Kusakabe dejectedly admitted their lack of power to fight against Spirits.

"Yeah, you all lack the power to do so. Then again, your policy is to keep the civilians safe, right? Then your equipments should come in handy," Ryo replied as he silently sneaked around with his pistol in hand. "I wish that was the case all the time, our suits cannot function in the indoors," Kusakabe presented her arguement while they continue to infiltrate the base. "It's not that versatile. Sure, anyone can wield it, but unlike the AST's, I can't produce a Territory that will protect me," Ryo presented its one fatal flaw despite how durable the exosuits are.

As they continue to infiltrate the base, the group then suddenly came to a halt. They heard sudden movement, and immediately, Ryo commanded them to hide. Hiding in a dark place, the trio them saw a horde of Kurumi clones rushing off somewhere. However, it seems like Kusakabe was finding their pathway weird. "W-why are they not guarding the hostages?!" the lieutenant asked, clearly scared of what they were planning and what they might have done to her fellow subordinates.

"Oh don't worry, even though you broke the end of your deal, I never put them in any harm," Kurumi's voice could be heard as Kusakabe used the Reiryoku she was given and powered herself up before facing the clone. "How can I be so sure? You know that we are a threat to you," Kusakabe stated, and this had made the clone laugh. "Oh please, don't kid yourself. All the time that I have been alive...

I have been toying with everyone in both DEM and AST, especially Mana herself that she thought I was immortal."

"Damn it, so we have been dancing around your palm the entire time," Kusakabe growled and the clone chuckled, clearly mocking the former before the clone's legs became unstable. "Well, you did do a number on me. I never thought that you of all people would team up with Shido's group. To be clear, I am getting weaker every second passes. I should've never underestimated you," the clone commended the opposing group's wit. 

However, it seems like the clone has a hidden plan. With a deranged grin, her movements were as if she was about to cast something dangerous and immediately, Kusakabe and Ryo had stabbed the clone right in the heart before the clone could do something. As the clone was immobilized, Kaede took this as a chance to lop off the clone's head with one giant swing from her greatsword.

"Good work. Now we can focus on rescuing them thanks to the clones going out," Ryo commended his teammates and plotted out their next move. "No, you go and chase after the clones. I have a bad feeling as to why they're leaving," Kusakabe replied, knowing that something was wrong right now. Why would the clones forsake and leave the hostages behind? There was something off, and Kusakabe knew that this was another one of Kurumi's plans.