Chapter Eleven

After enjoying their cappuccinos and a delightful dinner at Melrose Cafe, Richard found himself drawn to the idea of extending their evening. The soft ambiance and the music playing in the background seemed to create an enchanting atmosphere, perfect for a dance.

  Gathering his courage, Richard leaned across the table, catching Amy's attention. "Amy, would you like to dance?"

Amy looked surprised but smiled warmly. "Sure, Richard. I'd love to."

  They moved to a small open area near their table, where other couples were also swaying gently to the music. Richard took Amy's hand gently, feeling a rush of excitement mixed with nervousness. Amy placed her other hand on his shoulder, and they began to move in sync with the soft melody playing overhead.

  Under the dim lights of Melrose Cafe, Richard marveled at how graceful Amy was, her movements fluid and effortless. He felt a sense of exhilaration and contentment as they danced, the world around them fading into the background. Amy's laughter and the warmth of her hand in his filled him with a sense of closeness he hadn't felt before.

  As they twirled and swayed to the music, Richard couldn't help but steal glances at Amy's face. Her smile was radiant, and her eyes shone with joy. It was a moment he wanted to freeze in time, cherishing the memory of dancing with her under the stars.

  For Richard, this dance was more than just a moment shared; it was a silent celebration of their friendship and the unspoken bond between them. Dancing for some time, they returned to their table, both smiling with a shared understanding of the beauty of that fleeting, magical dance at Melrose Cafe.

  Just as the final notes of the song ended, a sudden commotion erupted at the entrance of Melrose Cafe. The door burst open, and a group of men entered, their presence immediately drawing the attention and fear of everyone inside.

  They were armed, their expressions hard and determined. Leading them was a man with an imposing presence, exuding a cold and calculated aura. It's none other than Rhysand Archer.

  The atmosphere in the cafe shifted abruptly from a serene evening to one filled with tension and fear. Conversations ceased, and the soft clinking of glasses fell silent as Rhysand and his men scanned the room. Richard instinctively pulled Amy closer, shielding her with his body.

Rhysand's voice cut through the silence, authoritative and chilling.

"Gilbert! Come forward. We know you're here."

  A murmur of fear rippled through the patrons, and a man in the back, visibly trembling, tried to shrink into the shadows. Gilbert was a regular at Melrose Cafe, known to many as a quiet man who kept to himself. But tonight, his secret had caught up with him.

  The mafia gang fanned out, their movements methodical and intimidating. Rhysand's sharp eyes scanned the room, and it didn't take long for his men to spot Gilbert.

  Two of them advanced quickly, grabbing him by the arms and dragging him to the front despite his futile attempts to resist.

"Please, I didn't do anything!" Gilbert pleaded, his voice shaking with terror.

Rhysand stepped closer, a sinister smile on his lips. "You know what you did, Gilbert. And now, you're coming with us."

  Richard tightened his grip on Amy's hand, his mind racing with what to do next. Amy's eyes were wide with fear, but she remained calm, her trust in Richard evident. They watched as Gilbert was dragged out of the cafe, the silence of the room filled with the heavy weight of what had just occurred.

As Rhysand Archer and his men were about to leave the cafe, something unexpected happened.

  His gaze swept over the room one last time, and then his eyes landed on Amy. For a brief moment, everything seemed to stand still. Richard noticed the change in Rhysand's expression, a glint of surprise and interest in the mafia leader's cold eyes.

  Rhysand's icy demeanor softened slightly as he took in Amy's appearance. Her beauty, which Richard had always admired, seemed to captivate Rhysand instantly. It was a moment of love at first sight, though tinged with a dangerous edge given the circumstances.

  Amy, feeling the intensity of Rhysand's gaze, instinctively took a step closer to Richard. Her confusion was evident, but she held her composure, meeting Rhysand's stare with a mix of defiance and curiosity.

Rhysand gave a small, almost imperceptible nod in her direction before turning back to his men.

"Let's go," he commanded, his voice regaining its cold authority.

  As they exited the cafe, taking Gilbert with them, Rhysand cast one last lingering look at Amy, a look that promised their paths would cross again. But the shock lingered.

  Richard and Amy exchanged worried glances, the magical evening shattered by the harsh intrusion of violence.

  Back at their table, Richard and Amy tried to process what had just happened. The other patrons slowly returned to their seats, some whispering in hushed tones, others still visibly shaken.

Richard looked at Amy, his voice steady but filled with concern.

"Are you okay?"

Amy nodded, though her eyes reflected the lingering fear.

"Yes, but... what do you think will happen to him? Who is he?"

Richard shook his head, unsure. "I don't know, Amy. But we should stay out of this. It's too dangerous."

  Despite the unsettling event, they finished their evening with a sense of resolve. Richard paid the bill, and they left Melrose Cafe, the beauty of their earlier dance overshadowed by the chilling reality they had witnessed. The air was struck in silent, both of them lost in their thoughts, the shadow of Rhysand Archer and his gang looming over their memories of the night.

Richard felt a deep sense of protectiveness towards Amy, now more than ever.

Richard nodded, his mind racing. "We should get out of here. I don't like the way he looked at you."

  They left Melrose Cafe together, the beauty of their earlier dance overshadowed by the chilling encounter with Rhysand. The walk back to Amy's home was silent, both of them lost in their thoughts.