Chapter Thirty-Six

Rhysand stood in the guest room, meticulously delaying his preparations. He knew that Amy would come looking for him, and the anticipation of her presence was a sweet torment. He toyed with the tie she had gifted him, intentionally fumbling, his mind already on the moment she would step through the door.

  When the door finally creaked open, it was as if the very air shifted. Amy entered, her presence radiating a quiet elegance that took his breath away. She wore the dress he had chosen for her, its fabric draping perfectly over her curves, accentuating the gentle arc of her waist. Rhysand found his eyes drawn irresistibly to her, before he quickly looked away, feigning focus on his tie.

"Why is this taking so long?" Amy's voice carried a blend of curiosity and mild amusement.

Rhysand turned to her, offering a sheepish smile.

"Can you help me with this tie? I seem to be all thumbs tonight."

  Amy's sigh was soft, accompanied by a gentle smile as she stepped closer. She smiled once when she saw the tie. She took the tie from his hands, her fingers brushing against his, sending a spark of electricity through him.

  The space between them seemed to contract, the room shrinking to just the two of them and the intimacy of the moment.

  As Amy looped the tie around his neck, her fingers working with practiced ease, Rhysand could feel the warmth of her breath against his skin. Her proximity was intoxicating, the scent of her perfume blending with the crisp air, creating a heady mix that made his pulse quicken. He was acutely aware of the way her body moved, the soft rustle of her dress, and the gentle touch of her hands.

  Amy's concentration was palpable, her brow slightly furrowed as she adjusted the tie. Rhysand fought to keep his eyes from wandering, his gaze tracing the delicate lines of her face, the curve of her lips, the way her hair framed her features. The tension was palpable, a magnetic pull that drew him closer, making it difficult to breathe.

"There," Amy said softly, stepping back to admire her work. "All set."

Rhysand looked down at her, his eyes locking onto hers. "Thank you," he murmured, his voice low and thick with emotion.

  Their eyes met, and for a moment, the world outside ceased to exist. The air between them was charged with unspoken words, a depth of feeling that neither had fully acknowledged. Rhysand's hand twitched, a subtle movement towards her, but he held back, the desire to pull her into his arms warring with the need to respect the boundaries they had set.

  Amy's gaze softened, her eyes reflecting a mixture of emotions. She stepped back, creating a physical distance that did little to diminish the intensity of the moment.

"We should get going. We don't want to be late."

Rhysand nodded, adjusting the tie one last time, more to occupy his hands than out of necessity. "Yes, we should."

  As they walked out of the room side by side, the intimacy of the moment lingered, an unspoken promise of something more. Each shared glance and fleeting touch spoke volumes, a connection that was growing stronger with each passing day. The night awaited them, but in that small room, they had shared a piece of themselves, a glimpse into a future that held the promise of both challenge and profound intimacy. The tie she had gifted him felt like a tangible symbol of the bond they were forming, a silent testament to their deepening relationship.