Chapter Forty-One

Rhysand and Amy arrived at the police station early in the morning, the sun barely rising above the horizon. The events of the previous night still weighed heavily on their minds. As they walked through the sterile hallways, the hum of fluorescent lights overhead, Rhysand's thoughts were consumed with the confrontation they were about to face.

  As they arrived at the police station, Amy's gaze immediately landed on Richard, standing in a corner. She approached him, her voice laced with an edge of frustration and confusion.

"Richard, where is my ring?" she demanded, her eyes searching his face for answers.

  Before Richard could respond, Rhysand stepped in, his grip firm yet reassuring on her arm. He gently pulled her back, his eyes locking with hers.

"It's with me," he said, his voice calm but authoritative.

  They were directed to a waiting area, where a familiar figure stood. Rhysand's eyes widened in shock as he recognized Gakxel Karter, his secret business partner, standing there with a stoic expression.

Amy, noticing Rhysand's reaction, whispered, "Do you know him?" Her voice was tinged with curiosity and concern.

Rhysand nodded slowly, his mind racing. "Yes," he replied, his voice low. "He's Gakxel Karter, my secret partner."

Amy's eyes widened in surprise. "He was my father's partner too," she said, a mixture of disbelief and confusion in her tone.

  The realization hit Rhysand like a ton of bricks. He turned to Gakxel, his eyes narrowing. "Why didn't you tell me about your partnership with Rile's company?" he demanded, his voice tight with tension.

Gakxel's expression remained impassive, but a flicker of something—guilt? Regret?—passed through his eyes.

His eyes darted around, settling on Rhysand with a mixture of fear and cunning.

"I did everything as you told me!" Gakxel shouted, his voice echoing in the cold, sterile room.

The accusation hung in the air like a dark cloud, causing a ripple of shock to pass through the onlookers.

Rhysand's eyes narrowed, and his jaw tightened. He took a step forward, his imposing figure exuding a dangerous calm.

"What are you talking about, Gakxel?" he demanded, his voice low and menacing.

Gakxel seized the opportunity, spinning his web of deceit further.

"You ordered me to do and so I did. I was just following your orders!" His words were desperate, each one a calculated move to save himself.

  Amy, standing beside Rhysand, felt a pang of confusion and betrayal. She looked up at Rhysand, her eyes searching his face for any sign of the man she had come to know and trust.

"Rhysand, is this true?" she asked, her voice trembling.

Rhysand's gaze softened as he looked at her, seeing the hurt and doubt in her eyes.

"No, Amy. This is a lie. Gakxel is trying to shift the blame." He turned back to Gakxel, his voice steely.

"You're not getting away with this."

But Gakxel, sensing his advantage, pressed on.

"Amy, you have to believe me! He tricked all of us. He's been playing both sides!"

  The room fell silent as the gravity of Gakxel's accusations settled in. Amy's mind raced, piecing together the events that had led them here.

  The man she loved, the one who had promised to protect her and her family, was now being accused of orchestrating their downfall. Her heart ached with uncertainty, and she took a step back, her trust wavering.

Rhysand felt a surge of desperation. He couldn't lose her, not over these lies.

"Amy, please," he implored, reaching out to her. "You know me. You know I would never do this."

Amy's eyes filled with tears as she looked between the two men, each representing a different path, a different truth.

"I don't know what to believe," she whispered, her voice breaking.

  Rhysand's heart shattered at her words, but he knew he had to prove his innocence, not just to her, but to everyone. As Gakxel was led away, still shouting his accusations, Rhysand turned to Amy, his resolve stronger than ever.

"I'll prove it to you, Amy. I'll prove that I'm not the villain in this story."

  Gakxel shrugged, a smug expression on his face. "Business is war, Rhysand. And in war, there are no friends, only enemies."

  The weight of uncertainty hung in the air, pressing down on them all. The bonds of trust and partnership had been tested, and the cracks were beginning to show.

  Rhysand stood outside the police station, his heart pounding with a mixture of rage and desperation. Gakxel's false accusations rang in his ears, but it was Amy's words that cut the deepest.

"Did you trick me to buy my company?" Her question echoed in his mind, each syllable a dagger to his heart.

He had fought so hard to protect her, to build a life together, only for her to doubt his intentions at the crucial moment.

  He followed her, pleading for her to understand, but she refused to get in the car. He trailed her all the way to her father's home, his mind racing with memories of their time together.

  He remembered the way her eyes sparkled when she laughed, the warmth of her touch, the way she melted into his arms during their most intimate moments. Each memory was a torment, a reminder of what he stood to lose.

  Rhysand stood outside the Kingstone residence, braving the cold and the judgmental stares from inside. His thoughts were a whirlwind of regret and longing. He recalled the softness of Amy's skin under his fingers, the scent of her hair, the way her body fit perfectly against his.

The thought of never holding her again, never hearing her whisper his name with love, was unbearable.

  Inside, Amy was crying, her own heart breaking. She missed him terribly, despite her anger and confusion. She remembered the strength in his embrace, the tenderness in his kisses, the safety she felt when he was near. Every moment without him felt like an eternity of loneliness.

  After hours of standing vigil, hoping for a sign, a word, anything, Rhysand finally turned away. The weight of her absence pressed down on him like a physical force. He was utterly broken, a shell of the man he had been with her by his side.

  He missed her terribly, every fiber of his being aching to hold her again, to reassure her, to be reassured by her presence. The thought of losing her forever was a pain unlike any he had ever known. He drove home in a daze, every mile a stark reminder of the distance now between them, not just physically, but emotionally.

  Rhysand entered his empty home, the silence a cruel contrast to the life and warmth Amy had brought into it. He sank onto the couch, burying his face in his hands, feeling the weight of his love for her crashing over him. He convinced Claire and his father.

  He missed the feel of her in his arms, the way she fit perfectly against him, the soft sounds she made as she drifted off to sleep. The house felt like a tomb without her, every room echoing with the ghost of her laughter, her touch, her love. He was a man undone, his heart shattered, missing her more than words could ever convey.