Chapter 39

Jean let out a deep breath. That mustn't have been easy for her mother to do. Especially Kenneth Towler didn't make it easy for her as well. Jean remembers vividly how she had to break up with a guy once. It just didn't fit any more. She remembers how heartbroken she felt having to do it and till this day she second guesses her decision. It was right, she knows it, though, she can't help but wonder how things could have turned out between them.

Alec was a good boyfriend and always tried his best, but her version of the future didn't align with his and they outgrew each other. So she did the most rational thing and let him go. It was hard, but she didn't do him good anymore and he didn't do her good. She remembers how she wrote home that day, asking her mother for advice. It were her last days at Hogwarts straight before the N.E.W.T's. She cried for days and wasn't really able to study for her last exams. She didn't do as good as she wanted to, so she wasn't able to get into the magical medical department as she wanted to, instead she is now stuck as an underpaid and overworked nurse at St. Mungo's.

She loves her work equally, though, she wishes she could be one of the doctors. And maybe, maybe if she just works hard enough, they let her study for it.

Jean puts the diary aside and walks over to her desk, where all her spreadsheets and books lie around. She neglected her studies for too long now. She should slowly start to get back into a normal life. Her life won't stand still and she can't too any longer.

After an hour of fighting through the texts, she puts down her quill. That's enough for today. A slow step forward is better than no step forward.

"No eres lo que logras, eres lo que superas." (You are not what you achieve, you are what you overcame)

That's what her mother used to tell her, when the test results came home. She couldn't appreciate her words back then, but now she does. There is a knock on the door that startles Jean. One look at the clock on the wall and she grows concerned. It's already past 10pm. Who could need something around that time?

As she opens the door, she is greeted with familiar faces. Teddy is leaning heavily against a friend of his that Jean vaguely remembers as Jeremy. They both swagger a bit.

"Do I want to know the reason, as to why he is that drunk at this time already?" Jean gives them a skeptical look.

"He lost a bet."

"OI SWEET JEAN. I-"

"Would you be quiet!", she shushes him and pulls them into her flat. "You knocked yourself almost unconscious because of a stupid bet?"

"For the record," Teddy slurs the words:" The chances of loosing were very slim."

"And yet here you are. What are you doing here?" Jean doesn't have the nerves to deal with drunks. She needs rest, she is tired and she craves the comfort of the diary of her mother.

"I am sorry, I didn't know where else to go. He is too drunk to apparate and I remembered you lived here and, well." Jeremy points with his head towards Teddy, who presses his face against the wall and pushes his arms away from him.

"Don't be sorry for being reasonable. It was the right decision bringing him here. I will let Victorie know where he is, so she doesn't have to worry. Teddy no. Don't eat my plants."

It was a rare sight given indeed. Teddy always were someone she looked up to. More because he was a few years older than her and always looked so mature. When she got older she realized, just how much that boy had to handle at a very young age and yet he always looked out for them. She will do just the same.

"Thanks Jean. The others wait for me outside, I shall better go. It was lovely seeing you again." Jeremy excuses himself to the door.

"Nice seeing you too. I hope the next time the circumstances are better nature."

"You say it, as if I was a bad circumstance." Teddy point warningly a finger at her.

"Currently you are dear." Jean shakes her head. "Come on now, let's get you to my couch."

"Why?"

"Because you told me earlier you want to lie down."

"Really did I?"

"Yes you did."

"Wow. But I don't want to anymore."

"Doesn't matter."

"Does it matter I want some water?"

"I'll bring you some. Sit down." Jean pushes him onto her sofa and retreats to the kitchen. When she comes back with a glass of water, she realizes her mistake. Teddy used her time being gone, to sneak out of the living room, onto the balcony.

"Teddy what in the name of Rowena are you even doing?"

"I don't want to sleep."

"Nobody said anything of sleeping. You just need to sit down. Peacefully at that."

"No. You and I, we both need another drink." Teddy pulls out his wand. Jean grows anxious.

"Give me your wand please. You are in no condition to use magic."

How could his friends be so dumb and not take his wand from him? Practicing drunk magic can be very dangerous.

"Don't tell me what to do. ACCIO"

Jean ducks just in time. Behind her, her wine bottle flies over her head to Teddy's outstretched hand. He opens it and takes a sip. Jean tries to get it from him, but he waves her off. He loses his balance and has to sit down at a chair. Taking yet another sip.

The woman sighs and sits down next to him. "What is going on? It's unlike you to get that drunk. I something bothering you?"

The man looks at her and doesn't say a word. He hesitates, then shakes his head and takes another sip. Jean knows it is useless to bribe him into saying anything. He wouldn't do it. He rather drowns himself in Alcohol, then to speak about his feelings. So she does the most reasonable and stretches out her hand to take the bottle. He hands it to her and she takes a sip.

Neither of them says a word. They sit in silence for what feels like hours. The breeze slightly grazes their skins and slowly Jean starts to shiver. Just as she was about to go back into her flat, Teddy clears his throat.

"I'm sorry what had happened with your mum, you know?"

"I know Teddy. But things like that happen. Sure it hurts, though it will get easier with time."

"But does it?" He turns to her and his eyes are filled with tears. And suddenly all of it makes sense to her.

"Oh Teddy. Come here." She stands up and pulls him into a hug.