24-epilogue

You were sitting in the rocking chair on the porch and you were looking out at the sea. The light breeze was blowing your now gray hair. A shaggy orange cat was lying on your lap. Levi was sitting next to you and sipped his tea.

You enjoyed watching how your grandchildren were playing in the water.

"We were like them too a long time ago." you reached out and held your husbands hand.

"Yes, but we didn't have the luxury of a carefree life." Levi kissed the back of your hand.

"You're right. But it was all worth it. It's good that we have experienced all the difficulties, now our children and grandchildren have a good life without any fear." you said.

"I'd live a hundred more lives full of the terror we've seen if you're still by my side." Levi started rubbing your hand with his thumb.

"I love you, tiny old man." you laughed.

"I love you, brat." Levi laughed as well.

Your daughter, who was 27 years old, came out of the house. Your youngest granddaughter, who was one year old, was sleeping in her arms. After her came her husband and her older brother. Her brother was 30 and his two boys, who were ten and eight, were playing in the water. He called them to come to you. Your son's fiancée was the last to come out from the house. She was holding a camera.

She placed the camera on the stand and turned on the timer. Everyone had gathered around you and together you took a picture.

The whole family had gathered to celebrate your anniversary with Levi. It had been forty years since your wedding. You remembered that day like yesterday.

The wedding was on the beach. You had arranged chairs for all your friends, even you had left empty seats for the important people you had lost. Like Hange, Sasha, Eren and Commander Erwin.

Jean had taken you to the altar because you had lost all your relatives. You were infinitely grateful to him.

You had sent an invitation to James. But of course he didn't come. You haven't seen him since you visited him in the hospital. You'd forgotten long time ago his voice and you could barely remember what he looked like. You could only pray that he made a good family.

You remember the first time you entered the house. Levi carried you in his arms because earlier you had fallen and sprained your ankle.

You had so many memories on this beach and in this house. You remember the evening when Levi had decided to cook dinner. You sat on the kitchen counter and enjoyed the view with a smile. Levi was preparing the sauce for the spaghetti while they were boiling.

"Give it a try." he came to you with a spoon in his hand.

"It's okay." you said dismissively.

"Just okay?" you raised an eyebrow.

"Yea." you lifted up your shoulders.

"Fine." he rolled his eyes and stared tickling you.

"Okay, okay it's great." you said breathlessly while laughing.

Levi stopped tickling you and smirked. Then he gave you a little peck on the lips. After that he leaned over and kissed your big belly.

"Your mum is annoying me little one." he stroked your belly.

"Hey, stop. You will traumatize the child. He or she will think we don't love each other." you frowned.

"Do we love each other?" Levi said sarcastically.

"I don't know. Do we?" you crossed your arms before your chest.

Levi just lifted up his shoulders and turned back to cooking, leaving your question unanswered. You got off the counter and went out on the porch. You sat down on the stairs and rested your head on your hands.

After a few minutes, Levi came to you. He left the plate between you and sat down.

"Here." he took one of the forks and wrapped spaghetti on it, then brought the fork to your mouth.

You pushed his hand away without looking at him.

"Come on Y/n. Don't act like this." he moved your hair from your shoulder.

"Go away Levi." you frowned.

"Never." he kissed your shoulder "I love you way too much to leave you."

"Hmm, do you?" you finally looked at him in the eye.

"Tch, what do you think, brat?" he tilted his head to the side.

"Fuck off." you looked away again.

"Of course I love you." he hugged you.

You couldn't help it, but smile. Because of your hormones, you got offended very quickly and Levi liked to annoy you.

"Come on it's time to eat now." Levi pushed the fork in your mouth before you could realise it.

"It's actually good." you said with your mouth full.

"Y/n? You good?" Levi asked after noticing that you were looking into the distance and crying.

"Yes, yes I'm perfectly fine." you quickly wiped away the tears.

"What happened?" he asked.

"Just memories." you stroked the cat.

"Memories?"

"I remembered the times when we were mad about each other. Then I was still young and beautiful." you chuckled with agony.

"Hey, hey, I'm still mad about you." he kissed the top of your head "And you are still the most beautiful girl I've ever seen."

"I'm still mad about you too." you hugged him tightly.

Suddenly you felt severe pain in the area of the heart. Your legs felt weak and you fell to the ground. Levi sat down with you and put your head on his lap.

"Y/n Y/n are you okay? What's going on?" Levi nervously cried.

"I don't feel very well." your vision started blurring.

"No, no, no, don't leave me Y/n." he kissed your forehead.

"I love you Levi. See you on the other side. I'll be waiting for you." you reached out for his free hand and squeezed it.

"Y/n no! Don't leave me. You're all I've got. Without you I'm good as dead. Don't leave me not you too." he broke down into tears.

"I love you." he looked into your eyes one last time before you closed them forever.

The End