4 - Overworking

Y/n watched as Alma paced the room, seeing how she nervously bit her talons. She's been having so much to do in order to carry out her duty and handling with the loop. Y/n's been trying to help Alma more with the children, especially when they got together and she's been so stressed between them and her work.

The woman watched as her talons dug into the letter Avocet had sent, the older woman reading over it again and again as she bit her nails, running them through her hair here and there.

"Love, why don't you sit down?" Y/n says, gently patting the spot on the couch beside her. It was late at night, the children already in bed and the woman has been waiting all day to finally speak with her on why she's been so stressed.

"No,I just need to.." She says, leaving to the kitchen. Y/n peeked out and seen her turning the kettle on before sitting back on the couch, waiting patiently for her return.

The woman came back after a few minutes, y/n noticing she had two cups and she handed one to her, the younger woman sending her a concerned look.

"What?" Alma asks as y/n took her mug.

"I appreciate your help and everything you do, darling, but you need to relax." Y/n says softly, looking her deep in the eyes and Alma was the first to break the contact.

"I just need to get things done." Alma says, y/n noting the shake in her voice.

"Darling, you've done enough. Come sit." Y/n says gently, about to pull her down on her lap when the older woman stepped away. "Alma."

"I'm sorry, I just.." She trailed off, her hands shaking as she dug her nails into the piece of paper, tears building in her eyes as she looked down at it.

"Darling." Y/n says, taking her hand but Alma pulled away. "What exactly are you stressing over?"

"I-I just have so much to do!" She says with a small whimper, holding back a sob as she clenched the paper. The younger woman noticed the bags under her eyes and her hair was messy from tugging at it, her hands shaking as they held the paper. "I don't have time to rest! I have to finish training at the academy, I have to get papers done for Avocet- and breakfast tomorrow but I haven't gone to town and we're run out of-"

Y/n shushed her, ignoring her distressed protests and took her hand, moving her down in her lap, this time Alma not fighting. She gently layed her head down in her lap, y/n running her talons through her hair and wiping her tears away that threatened to spill.

"It's okay. It can wait a while. Just close your eyes and breathe. Take a deep breath." Y/n says softly, looking down at her. Alma took a small breath in, her hands holding onto the fabric of the woman's shirt, her eyes shutting and relaxing against her. Y/n soon felt the woman's breathing slow and found her asleep in less than a minute.

She relaxed against the sofa, looking down at the sleeping woman, not minding to stay on the couch to be sure she got some sleep. Her talons stayed running through her hair, the womans slow breathing lulling herself to sleep and eventually she fell asleep after her.

She woke up only once, about two hours before she was usually up when she felt the woman dig her talons into her waist for a second, a pained expression flashing over her face for a moment before relaxing, taking a deep breath in her sleep. Y/n looked over her, wiping away a stray tear that fell down her cheek, noticing she was now laying back on the couch, the woman on top of her. She didn't mind though as it was much comfortable for the both of them.

She kept a close hold on her, burying her face against the crook of her neck and shoulder and let out a small sigh, content to see she was fast asleep and at ease. She felt the woman move closer to her in her sleep, y/n bringing her arms gently around her waist, seeing someone walk down the hallway. She made eye contact with Jacob, the boy smiling when he seen the two and y/n sent him a hard glare, not wanting him to wake her.

"Are you two-"

"If you wake her, I will make sure you never return." She says in a low quiet tone with a stone hard glare, knowing part of the stress was from his mishaps with the others. This was the most sleep y/n has gotten in a while.

The boy grew nervous and the woman was pleased when she found he was intimidated.

"Right, sorry Miss y/l/n." He says, leaving the room and y/n relaxed back against her, resting her head against hers.

She let out a small sigh, shutting her eyes, not exactly planning on sleeping but enjoying the quiet moment with her, her lips pressing a soft, gentle kiss on her cheek.

~~~~~

Just a short one since I haven't slept in days and I'm so tired so I'm gonna go take a nap after my appointments 😭