¤Chapter 24

Venom in the medicine swallows the city,
This is code red, next target is you.

A gentle breeze rustled through the canopy of delicate pink cherry blossoms, showering petals like confetti onto the vibrant picnic blanket

Beneath the blossoming branches, the Jung family was sprawled out, laughter echoing through the air.

Ten-year-old Seohyun chased her older brother Jaehyun around the blanket, shrieking with delight as he tried to steal bites of her sandwich.

Their parents, Soomin and Daeyoung, watched the kids with smiles, soaking in the warm sunshine and the joy radiating from their children.

Daeyoung pulled out a frisbee, and soon the picnic blanket transformed into a frisbee field. Seohyun and Jaehyun shrieked with renewed excitement as they chased the brightly colored disc soaring through the air.

Soomin and Daeyoung joined in, their throws a little less graceful but their laughter just as contagious.

As the frisbee antics wound down, the family settled back on the blanket, their picnic basket now a delightful mess of crumbs and discarded napkins.

Soomin pulled out a book, its worn spine a testament to countless family picnics. Curled up beside her, Daeyoung listened with amusement as she read aloud, occasionally pausing to answer questions from her inquisitive children.

The afternoon melted into a warm haze of contentment. The air was filled with the sweet scent of cherry blossoms, the chirping of birds, and the soft murmur of Soomin's voice.

Every now and then, a petal drifted down, settling gently on a cheek or a book page, a reminder of the fleeting beauty of the moment the family spent together in each other's company.

The dream faded, the vibrant colors of the picnic scene dissolving into the soft hues of Seohyun's bedroom. The gentle breeze rustling the cherry blossoms was replaced by the hum of her alarm.

A lone tear escaped her eye, a bittersweet longing for the perfect spring day her dream had conjured. Only if her family was so prefect.

Seohyun moved her arm only to accidentally knock down the pen stand from her desk. The clatter shattered Seohyun's idyllic spring dream, leaving behind the harsh reality of her being at Azure Base.

Seohyun had prepared a list of tasks that were to be done for the day, topping the chart was making breakfast for the ailing Haechan.

After freshening up, Seohyun padded down the opulent hallway, the silence broken only by the rasp of her steps. Reaching the treatment chamber, she found Hachan, a pale lump huddled under the heavy blanket.

He had been scrolling through his phone, replying to the texts that flooded his chats in the past 24 hours, when Seohyun knocked and peered into the room.