¤Chapter 7

Donghyuck sat in the shotgun fiddling with his pocketknife, deep in thought, as he waited for Renjun to return

Donghyuck sat in the shotgun fiddling with his pocketknife, deep in thought, as he waited for Renjun to return. He had lost the opportunity of acquiring the rosette girl. There was a clash of emotions in his head- anxiousness, disappointment, fury, dejection, and many more. He snapped out of it on hearing Renjun close the door, getting into the driver's seat. He drove off wordlessly knowing Donghyuck's state of mind.

On Renjun's suggestion, Donghyuck opted to look outside the window instead of torturing the poor knife. He had been observing the dull scenery of the neighbourhood pass by when he heard a honk, which diverted his attention to it.

The motorcycle was approaching them at high speed. He glanced at Renjun, who had only slightly turned the steering to the left, considering the narrow road. The bike driver had turned to their left too as they passed each other, missing by an inch. Donghyuck looked up at the driver for a brief moment but couldn't see their face because of the helmet. But he did not miss the long, jet-black hair with purple highlights, flying behind them.

It was a girl?!

¤

Laughter resonated through the air as the family sat at the dining table waiting for the food.

Family.

Jeon Hyunwoo, Dahee's father, and Dahee were in the kitchen, cooking while Chohee, her mother accompanied Seohyun and Haeyoon as she told them about more of Dahee's embarrassing childhood stories.

Seohyun devoured all their smiling faces as she smiled herself. Her thoughts reeled back to her family, the complete opposite. It had fallen apart since the day of the Dojeon incident, and she would never forgive the culprit.

This is what it feels like to have a happy family.

There had been times when Seohyun was envious of Dahee for having a loving family. Mother, Father. Although she had no siblings, the family was quite close-knit. However, Seohyun was glad that she had them. Both Chohee and Hyunwoo considered Haeyoon and Seohyun as their daughters and never treated them differently from Dahee.

"Hey, I did not do that," yelled Dahee from the kitchen.

"Oh, you did, my baby," Chohee said. "You came home covered in mud from head to toe that day."

"I remember this. We were playing with..." Seohyun trailed off as her memory became a blur. "You fell from the swing in mud, but why don't I remember who swung you?"

"Don't stress yourself, Hyunie," Dahee said entering with the plates in her hand and patting Seohyun's head after putting them down.

"Let's dig in," Hyunwoo announced as he entered with the food.

The family spent a jolly, fun-filled evening together. They told each other countless stories, all good ones from the past. Even Haeyoon joined with her adventures in the orphanage and about the foster parents she had until she turned 18. Not all of it was good, but she had her favourite parts.