CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

Selena's POV

I went upstairs to check on Sammy, and figure out what was delaying him

I went upstairs to check on Sammy, and figure out what was delaying him. Immediately I opened his room door, my mood got spoiled.

"What's going on here?" I asked sharply, staring at Diana and Sammy. They were both close to each other, causing my blood to boil.

"Umm, nothing. Er, I have to go" Diana said, trying to avert my question. She looked at Sam before attempting to walk out of the room.

This time, I will teach this wretched girl a lesson she will never forget!

When she came closer to where I stood, I held her arm and whispered softly in her ears, "You're digging your own grave!" She stared at me with a smirk before loosing her hand from my grip and walking away.

After she left, I faced Sammy. He avoided making eye contact with me.
"Sam, what's going on between you two?" I asked, my tone angered. He ignored my question and put on his jewelries. After dressing up, he walked out on me.

"Sam!" I called out to him, but he ignored me and shut the door behind him.

Diana has really charmed Sam! I need to get rid of her today!

                        *****
Sammy and I were seated at the alter performing the wedding rituals. I couldn't contain my excitement, as for Sammy, he looked miserable. His facial expression through out the ritual, must've made the guests think he's being forced into marrying me.

"Smile, please, for me" I whispered softly in his ears. He was taken aback by my statement, so he slightly shifted away from me. I smiled inorder to cover up the cold responses I was getting from Sam. Whatever he does, doesn't matter anymore! Nothing can change the fact that we're getting married.

Diana's POV

"Are you seriously going to watch your love marry someone else? Won't you do something?" Grandma Kiran yelled at me in the corridor

"Are you seriously going to watch your love marry someone else? Won't you do something?" Grandma Kiran yelled at me in the corridor. "Please do something, stop this marriage!"

I sighed, feeling hurt. "Unfortunately granny, there's nothing I can do"

"What do you mean by that? You claim to love Sam, but how have you proven your love so far? Huh?!"

"Granny please!" I snapped, almost shouting. I regained my composure and said softly, "Granny, Sam loves Selena and not me"

It hurts me to see Sam with someone else despite being married to him (I know I'm not supposed to take our marriage seriously) but what is meant to be will be. Forcing things might just hurt me more, so it's best to let things be.

I am married to Sam!

No, I'm not. It was just a mistake; A fling!

Whatever you call it wouldn't change the fact that he applied vermillion on your forehead! Claim your rights Dia!

"False!" Someone exclaimed behind me. Both grandma Kiran and I turned to face the person. "My apologies for eavesdropping, but I couldn't help it" Ryan said. "It's about Sam, so I just had to butt in. By the way Diana, Sam doesn't love Selena! He feels nothing for her, trust me" His expression was that of disgust. "I know for a fact that Sammy loves you Dia! He has proven it severally, but fails to accept it or admit it. I don't know what's wrong with Sam, he's just throwing his life away!"

"Exactly!" Grandma Kiran supported Ryan. "That witch has possessed my poor grandchild. We need to make him realize his love for Diana!"

"But how?" Ryan asked. "He's not willing to admit it".

"Enough please" I retorted calmly. "Just leave everything in the hands of fate. I don't want to force anything" I turned to leave.

"Sammy's life is going to be ruined! That barren will never conceive! Sammy is going to suffer, you don't understand!!!" Grandma Kiran yelled out in frustration and anger. I turned to her in shock, trying to process what I had just heard.

"Barren?!" Ryan and I asked loudly in shock.

Grandma Kiran broke down in tears and sat down on a bench in the corridor. "Selena is a barren! And I found out a long time ago".

"What? How?"

"There was a day I went to the hospital for a checkup. I ran into Selena that day in the doctor's office. She was talking to the doctor about some condition, unaware of my presence. I decided to eavesdrop on her conversation with the doctor"

*******Flashback*******
"Doc, what can we do? I can't continue to live like thisss!" She cried out.

"Unfortunately Ms Rathore, there's nothing we can do to save your womb. It has already been destroyed a long time ago, so what makes you think something can be done now? I'm sorry, but it's impossible for you to conceive. That doesn't mean you can't become a mother, I suggest you adopt--"

"NO!" She yelled out, slamming her palm on the desk. "I will never adopt! I want to conceive, I want to be a real mom! Is that too much to ask for?" Tears welled her eyes as she broke down in tears, grief engulfing her.

The doctor became angry and frustrated.
"Like I said before Ms Rathore, there's nothing I can do. Maybe you should go seek medical advice somewhere else. If you don't mind, I have work to do" He pointed to the door behind Selena, ushering her out. Selena grabbed her purse and stood up. Before leaving, she threw the doctor's glass of water on the floor in anger.
The doctor got irritated and yelled out, "LEAVE!"

Selena walked out of the doctor's office in tears, feeling miserable and helpless.

********End of flashback********

"Ever since, I despised that woman! Our family tree has never been broken and I certainly won't let that wretch break it because of her barrenhood!" Grandma Kiran concluded.

"But granny, don't you think that's a bit harsh? Selena has been through a lot, and your actions are a little bit selfish. I'm sorry if that sounded rude, but it's the truth. Just because she's unable to conceive, you're discriminating her? Instead of supporting her?"

"You don't understand! That woman is a wicked soul. I've always had a bad feeling about her!"

"That dosen't still justify what you're doing. I'm afraid that if I can't conceive someday, you'll also treat me like a wretch. Not just me, but anyone who marries Sam and can't conceive!" I said, highly disgusted by grandma Kiran's deamenour. "I'm sorry once more for my immoral behavior" With that said, I walked out of the vicinity.

Word count: 1,086