28. Love struck!

A peon went out after placing the painting kit Adira had ordered for Aniket, in the hope that it would set her brother's mood in the best way. She was winding up her work when Sagar barged into her cabin unannounced. Passing a condescending smirk in her way, he sat on the couch placing his legs on the table, one over the other.

Adira prayed for calm and her sanity to be intact after an impending draining conversation with him, for which he was here. He wasn't even the last person she wished to see. Due to Krishna Ji's grace, he was so occupied in his new project with Mr. Aakarsh Mittal that she didn't have to see him often. To think of it, the new project has garnered a lot of eyeballs and has become the talk of the business circle. She was amazed that Sagar alone, with his current reputation of a fraudster, could pool so much amount to invest along with Mr. Mittal.

"How have you been doing, Adira?" he asked, smiling eerily.

"Till the minute before you walked in, I was doing great, now I don't have much hope left." Not bothering to grace him with a look, she switched off the monitor and stood up to leave.

"Aditya has rubbed off on you, hasn't he?" he commented, concealing the insult by her ignorance beneath a supercilious smirk.

As he continued to receive only silence and an unbothered Adira standing before him, waiting for him to finish sooner and leave, his pique flared and straightening out his legs, he got on his feet.

"Well it was inevitable. After all, you are his favourite minion. Oh wait, he publicises you as his wife. In years that lad made only one deal which went into loss, and it was yours." he bit out in fake regret, prompting a frown on her face.

"Which deal are you talking about?" she asked, alarmed. In no way Sagar is supposed to know about the prenuptial agreement if by Aditya's reasons, he blackmailed her to sign it to save his grandparents from any misadventure in future due to Sagar himself and in her knowledge, no other deal involving her is ever made.

The puzzled look mixed with a slight flicker of fear in Adira's eyes soothed Sagar's bruised ego. What an uproar he can bring by revealing to her about Aditya making the beast with two backs and playing the good guy before her! But that would ruin all the fun. He has to wait till the right time. Once he's done bringing Aditya on roads, he will smash Adira's fantasy world and feast on all their miseries.

With an ease contrasting his stilted disposition, he sauntered to her, his hands stuffed inside his pockets and condoled with pitiful mockery, "Oh Adira, I feel so sad for you dear. Are you both actually husband and wife or is there only a relationship of exchanging benefits between you two? Although I wonder what benefits you give him that he can't have from outside!"

His statement left her stomach in knots, with disgust. He could put shame to all the men in the name of a step-father.

"Stop diverting the conversation, Sagar. Or if you are here to rub salt on my non-existent wounds with your crappy dramatics, then let me tell you, it's not working. You might be free, I'm not." she spat, infuriated and was rewarded with a glint of joy in the swine's dead eyes.

"Of course I understand you're busy right now. After all, nothing should be more important to you than to be with your husband when a killer is out on the loose for his blood. But I wonder how you can still be here, working and so relaxed?" The fictitious sympathy was followed by a hostile curiosity, enough to unnerve Adira.

"Aditya is attacked?" Devastated and distraught, her voice came out as a whisper.

"He didn't tell you?!" Sagar snickered and continued after getting a confirmation from her pale look, "Sameer Raizada has made it to the top in the list of the most wanted criminals in a couple of hours after Aditya gave the statement regarding his involvement in both the attacks. The government is talking about arranging Z level security for your husband."