19

Please comment and like this chapter - Let me know what you think!

"What the—" Arnest stopped in his tracks the moment they entered the courtyard.

The buildings were decorated in festive lights and illuminated the path that led to an open area full of dining tables and seated guests.

Giada was setting plates full of pasta and baskets of bread on the tables. She caught a glimpse of Arnest from her peripheral and clapped her hands.

"Scusi! Everyone!" She called, but the noisy chatter of all the villagers invited went over her. Giada became frustrated, and took a deep breath, before shouting. "SILENCIO!"

The sound of her yell had shut everyone down immediately. Arnest even jumped in fear.

"Mi boys have come home!" She skipped over to the three and grabbed both Hyde and Arnest by the arm. "Arno, and Hyde. Both came back."

The crowd began to cheer and clap. Giada waved her hand, and a boisterous beat began to play. Harper noticed the band of tambourine, violin, and accordion players stationed on the side happily playing tunes.

A line of dancing women in long skirts began twirling and skipping toward them.

"Mama... where did you find the time to—"

"Hush, mi figli. Eyu must help eyu Sorella with the drinks. Must go." She shooed Arnest away. Hyde was whisked away by the women dancing around.

Giada grabbed onto Harper's hand and dragged her toward one of the tables. "Come! Eyu must be hungry! I prepared big feast for eyu!"

Harper saw Yanpu in the distance, standing awkwardly aside as one of the little girls, Anna's child, tried to play with him. "Yani— Agh!" Harper tried to get his attention, but she was shoved into a seat at a table in front of a large plate of pasta.

"Must eat!" Giada smiled and sat beside her. "Eyu skin... much more tan. Itaria sun is good for the skin."

Harper forced a smile and picked up one of the forks. The food looked delicious. But Harper was very overwhelmed by all the music, the talking, and the setting.

Everyone seemed so happy and were close. She felt like an outcast, despite Giada trying her best to make her feel welcome. Harper just wasn't used to so much interaction.

She had many quiet dinners at her home with her mother back in Westona. So to see so many people in one area talking and laughing was a huge culture shock.

"Did eyu enjoy the tour? How is Piccposto?"

Harper rolled the pasta onto her fork and took a small bite. The flavor and spices melted onto her tongue, and Harper moaned softly. "Fun..."

"Fun? Speak more."

"It's very different from where I'm from. I've never seen so much color and light. And the air feels..." Harper sighed when she looked at the evening sky. The stars weren't as visible, but the moon was bright and full.

She was amazed that despite her circumstances, she felt a warm fuzzy feeling as if she was meant to be here and call it home.

"Hyde treated eyu well, yes?"

"Huh?"

"Hyde..." Giada tusked when she saw the dancers crowding around him.

"Um..."

"Hyde isseh stubborn boy... but he will care for eyu and cherish with all of his heart. Don't mind him."

"Believe me, I'm not worried about him in the slightest." Harper rolled her eyes and stabbed more of the pasta.