24

Please comment and like this chapter - Let me know what you think!

It had been a few days. While Hyde and Arnest seemed busy trying to estimate a time to leave, Harper had noticed that Hyde was avoiding her.

She was able to walk around much better after receiving some aid from Arnest.

She couldn't figure out why Hyde always kept short conversations with her. It was a simple command, and a threat if she went against it.

She wondered if it was from that night they went to Arturo's restaurant. But her memory of that night was extremely foggy. She knew she shouldn't have let herself get as drunk as she did, but it was killing her to know what they talked about.

She only hoped that she didn't say anything embarrassing. But from the looks of it, it seemed like she said something to upset him, not that she cared.

Yanpu had been to school some more times, so she hadn't had the chance to see him as much as she would like to. She was still angered that he was enrolled in a school in the first place. But rather than lashing out at Hyde, she decided to use it as an opportunity to study Yanpu's behavior.

Anna gave her a notebook, and ever so often, Harper would write reports on changes to Yanpu's mood and how much exposure to other children he was getting. But she still felt it wasn't enough.

Part of her wanted to sneak to the school and watch him, but that would've been odd. Giada and the others would pick up on her worries and question her.

The last thing she needed was to be questioned and have Hyde be aggravated with her even more for causing any suspicion.

"Hey. You there? Hello?" Arnest snapped his fingers in front of Harper's face, and she blinked. When he finally had her attention, a wicked grin spread across his face. "You're back to reality, finally. Here."

He shoved a wooden bucket in her hands.

"What's this for?"

"Follow me."

"Why?"

"Stop asking so many darn questions! Get up, and let's go."

"Tch." Harper sucked her teeth and stood. "It's not like my questions are hard to answer."

"I think you're forgetting the position you're in right now. You don't realize who's in control."

"Oh. I realize. I think you're overestimating how much control you actually have."

"Come closer and I'll show you," Arnest spat.

"What? You'd harm me in the open so your family can see?" Harper mocked.

Arnest clenched his jaw and observed their surroundings. Sure enough, Giada and a few of his nephews and nieces were nearby, helping unload buckets of fruits and vegetables off a wagon.

If he had done something, they would've heard and rushed over.

"So. Where are we headed, since you asked so nicely?"

"Smile while you can, woman. Smile while you can." Arnest started on the path that led to the vineyard.

"I don't have a choice." Harper huffed, following closely after him. "If you had told them I wasn't associated with Hyde, they would've treated me differently."

Arnest paused and turned to face her. "Do you think that my family is that cruel?"

"I can't trust them. They're your family. And you're not exactly trustworthy."