ONE

The bell rings, but it isn't quick enough for me. I've already got my bag over my shoulder and is half way out of the room when it goes off. Good thing to. No one is in the halls yet. It gives me just enough time to sneak out the back doors. I push the door open and close it quickly, the scent of wet leaves and pine trees filling the air. It's a perfect fall day for walking in the woods.

No one comes out here. Which is good because I prefer being alone. My house is just on the other side so walking home from school works out great. Also because I don't have a car, yet. I can just see my tree house from my childhood when a horrible odor begins to fog the air. I gag and put my hands over my nose. "What is that?" I think to myself. As I get closer to the tree house from my childhood the stink gets worse. Feeling disgusted I started to climb up the ladder. One hand over my mouth and nose, the other climbing.

My breath catches in my throat as I see what the cause of the stench was. Laying in my tree house, was a dead man. There was blood everywhere and his intestines were spilling out from his stomach. I heaved and almost fell off the ladder. Coughing and gagging I jumped off the ladder and ran through my backyard to my house. I fumbled for my keys as I dialed 911. "Hello this is 911 what's your emergency?" The lady asked. "Yes, hello my name is Charlotte. Um, I was walking through the woods behind my house, and um. There is a dead man... inside my tree house." I stammered, pushing through the door. My parents weren't home, great.

"Thank you so much." I ended the call after telling her my address, and they would be here soon hopefully. I decided to take my mind off of him and do some homework but I couldn't concentrate. I just keep having mental images of him. I mean once you're dead, you're dead but I feel like he's coming for me. I'm not sure if I can ever go back in those woods without seeing him. The doorbell rang, they were here. "Hello are you Charlotte Black?" The officer asked. "Yes I am. The man is just in those woods back there. There's a trail, but you should be able to um, smell him." I managed. "Right then. Thank you Charlotte, this must be very traumatic for you." He nodded his head and went back around the house. Along with a bunch of other cops. I went back inside and called my parents. No one picked up, except Lauren, my dad's secretary. I hung up on her.

A few minuets later a different officer knocked on the door. "Hi can I help you?" I asked, confused. "This may be a bit, hard, to process but, there is no man anywhere to be found..."