TWENTY ONE

Sam's POV:

I watched through the window as she left. I watched through the window as she ran into the woods. And now I'm watching through the window for her to come back. Don came home. She wasn't there. He left again. She wasn't there. I've been watching out this window for three hours. She still. Isn't. Here. What if she got hurt? I brushed off that thought. I mean look at her.

"Where is she?!" I yelled to myself. I pulled my hands through my hair and rubbed my eyes. Wait, this isn't normal. What if she did get hurt? Should I go find her? No, no she'll be fine. Probably. I sighed. Soon I found myself asleep on the couch. A few hours later, there was a noise outside.

I sat up straight. I knew it. I stood up quietly, and walked over to the window. Oh my god, she's actually there. Charlotte was sitting in the tree outside the house. She was laying on her back on a tree branch. I quietly opened the front door only to be met by singing. She was singing.

Charlotte didn't see me, I hope, so I crept over to the tree and sat down. My back facing the trunk. She sang very beautifully. I looked up at her through the leaves. She was looking back at me, still singing. When she finished we sat there in comfortable silence. Listening to the sounds of the night. Charlotte dropped down beside me.

She put her head on my shoulder. I moved close to her, and put my arm around her waist. "Where did you go?" I ask her. She sighed softly. "Why," she replied. "Because-because I waited for you. For a long time. And-and I wanted to see you." I said.  "Really? You didn't need to wait for me you know. I almost wasn't able to come," Charlotte trailed off.

"What do you mean? Are those people still after you?" Charlotte shivered so I put my other arm around her. "They, wanted me to join...their, family. They are like me. They have a big house in the woods, where they stay. And they asked me to try living with them for a bit." She said. I was silent. "And, are you going to-to stay? With them?" I asked.

She shrugged. "I don't know, maybe. It's kind of nice there. Lots of people." I really didn't want her to leave. But she's free to do what she wants. And it's not like I mean anything to her. I sighed again. "If-if you, decide to stay with them, will I ever see you again." She looked up at me and smiled. "Yeah. I'll come visit you. But we don't need to worry about that just yet. Because now is now. And then is then." She said.

I smiled at that. I held her tightly. She snuggled up close to me and fell asleep. And now we're back here again. I didn't really feel like moving her or moving at all. Oh well, we can just stay here. I kissed the top of her forehead and fell asleep as well.