FOUR

I was unprepared for this. Me and Kate had been planning this for months! Who would have thought she would leave me? Although now that I think about it...we never really planned how I would get out. Never mind that, I had bigger problems. Like the alarms that were telling everyone that I was trying to escape. I saw Kate running off into the trees and in an instant a rush of sheer anger swept through my body. How dare she leave me to get caught! How dare she laugh at me! If only I could get to her I would, I would put her in so much pain she wouldn't know what hit her.

I looked up at the fence, the only thing holding me back and decided that I would not be getting caught. Not today, not ever. I grasped on to the fence and climbed to the top. The back door swung open and only for a split second did I freeze. I shook it off and hoisted myself over, landing on my feet. Smiling at the guard, I turned and sprinted off towards Kate.

I was running faster than I had ever ran before in my entire life. The trees flew past me in a blur, and I stumble here and there but soon enough I saw her. She was setting up the shelter we had discussed. I realized why she had pretended to let me come, the shelter was all my idea. So was the escape plan. I made a low growling noise. It surprised both of us I think. Kate looked around for a minuet and then went back to work shrugging it off. I just stayed quiet and took in my surroundings.

There was a tree branch hanging over Kate's shelter. I was not going to let her get away with leaving me. The more I thought about it, the stupider it seemed. It is an every girl for herself kind of world. But also the more I thought about it the angrier I felt. I bet they were now searching for us. I bet if I hadn't been so driven by the thought of her paying for what she did I would be getting punished. That was it, I want her gone. I climbed up the tree closest to me. I was clumsy, but I managed to reach the branch above Kate.

I watched her from above. She was working on something. Oh who cares. I took out my knife and hid in in my sleeve. The branch seemed sturdy so I put all of my weight on it. I dropped down feet first, landing on her. She hadn't so much as yelped when I put my knee into her chest and my knife to her throat. Kate took deep breaths and looked at me with pleading eyes. It was painful but I tried to stand my ground, remembering how she was my best friend. I remembered her making me feel happy and then it all crumbled away.

Kate opened her mouth but I dug my knife into her throat and she didn't say anything. Suddenly I felt like it was happening to slow. Like I wanted my knife to go through her throat and end her. See her blood spill out, see her eyes fade into nothingness. And without realizing it, I had. She coughed up blood and it went all over me. But I didn't care. I felt amazing. And I wanted to do it again.