chapter 39: two places at once

8 months later:

I walked to Sam's room, hearing giggles and laughs coming from his bedroom.

Him and Hazel just couldn't keep quiet...

I noticed the door was open slightly, so they weren't fooling around or anything. Or, just not fooling around in the way they had been doing the last 8 months.

8 months.

Which means 1 month left.

I peaked through the door, seeing Hazel tying Sam's hair up in little ponytails. Him complaining about it being too tight, her rolling her eyes and loosening them.

I wish I could be here for the wedding.

Because I know for a fact they belong together. I felt my heart thump loudly as the rims of my eyes stung with unshed tears.

I watched them smile and laugh like they had all the time in the world.

They did.

I didn't.

Dean had gone out on a supply run while I waited for him to come back. He had been closed off lately. He was just as scared as I was.

He spends so much time with me, but it's always awkward or silent. Not wanting to discuss the diminutive time I had left with him.

I was tired of him acting like this. But I couldn't blame him.

Wordless sex.

Silent stares.

Getting up in the middle of the night, leaving me to cuddle with the pillow that smells faintly of him.

It almost hurt my feelings in a knowing way.

I felt a pair of hands snake around my waist. I gasped, glancing down to see the backs of Dean's calloused palms. I felt his lips brush against my ear, his voice low, almost excited.

"Hey... come with me on a drive." He whispered, giving my hip a gentle squeeze.

"Okay..." I simply replied, feeling his hands slip from my waist, walking away. I turned around, following him.

He paused, letting me catch up, and then grabbing my hand, clasping it gently in his. His fingers slipped between mine, intertwining our fingers.

His mouth quirked up with a small smile. Something was different...

"What's got you in such a good mood?" I questioned as we walked into the garage.

He opened my door, "Oh... just wanted to," he paused clearing his throat. "Spend as much time with my beautiful girlfriend as I can."

I noticed the sadness in his voice. He knew how close the end of my deal was too. He'd probably been miserably counting down the days as well.

"Okay..." I murmured as he started the ignition, giving me a glance.

-------------------------

He drove for some time, looking ahead. The drive was longer than I'd anticipated. I thought it was a drive we'd chat and drive around randomly, but no. He was driving me somewhere. His hand moved to rest on my thigh, rubbing gentle circles with his thumb.

I smiled, missing the feeling. It had been a while since he'd done something like this.

I was worried, because we had been driving a while. Pretty far out.

Suddenly we stopped in the middle of absolutely nowhere. Grass and flat land could be seen, and a sign that said 'You're now leaving Kansas' was off to the right. My brows furrowed as he pulled onto the side of the road.