His Highness (3/3)

They packed their meager belongings and set out on the long journey back to the palace. The road was fraught with danger, but their love for each other and their country fueled their resolve. As they approached the gates, Jungkook felt a knot tighten in his stomach. The palace loomed before them, a stark reminder of the life they had left behind.

Once inside, they were met with whispers and sideways glances. The court had not forgotten their disappearance, and the news of Grandmama's illness had only made the whispers louder. Jungkook took comfort in the warmth of Taehyung's hand as they walked through the corridors, the weight of their decision heavy on their shoulders.

The queen met them in her chambers, her eyes red-rimmed from crying. "Thank the heavens you've returned," she breathed, pulling them into a tight embrace. "Grandmama is dying, and the council is tearing itself apart." Jungkook felt a pang of guilt for the pain they had caused her, but she squeezed their hands reassuringly. "Your place is here, with your people."

Taehyung stepped forward, his voice firm. "We will do whatever it takes to ensure peace and stability for the kingdom." The queen's eyes filled with humbleness as she nodded. "But we must tread carefully," she warned. "Grandmama is still in power, and she will not take kindly to your...relationship."

The days that followed were a whirlwind of political maneuvering and late-night strategy sessions. Jungkook watched as Taehyung grew into his role, his shoulders squaring and his eyes becoming sharper with each passing day. They found moments of solace in the quiet corners of the palace, stealing kisses when they thought no one was looking. But the shadow of Grandmama's disapproval hung over them like a storm cloud.

One evening, as Jungkook was bringing Taehyung a tray of tea and documents, they stumbled upon a heated argument in the hallway. Two lords were shouting over a map, their voices echoing off the stone walls. "We must attack before winter sets in," one said, jabbing a finger at the parchment. "If we wait any longer, we'll lose our advantage!"

Taehyung's grip on Jungkook's hand tightened, and Jungkook could feel the prince's anger rising. "We will not be the aggressors," Taehyung declared, stepping into the fray. "We will find a peaceful solution." The lords looked at him with a mix of disbelief and disdain, but Taehyung held firm, his gaze unwavering.

Jungkook's heart swelled with pride at the strength he saw in Taehyung, but the tension was palpable. They both knew that their time was running out. The council was growing impatient with the prince's reluctance to marry and his frequent absences from court. And Grandmama's health was failinging rapidly.

One night, as Jungkook sat by Taehyung's side, the prince broke the silence. "I have decided," he said, his voice low and determined. "Let's get married." Jungkook's eyes widened in shock. "What?"

"Marry me," Taehyung repeated, taking Jungkook's hand in his. "Not in secret, I don't care what they think. Let's get married in front of everyone. Show them that love is not something to be hidden." Jungkook's eyes searched Taehyung's, trying to read the truth in them. The idea was ludicrous, but also incredibly tempting.

The prince continued, "We can rule together, as equals. We can show the kingdom that love is not a weakness but a strength. That we can lead with compassion and understanding." Jungkook felt his heart swell with hope at the words. It was a dangerous gamble, but one that could change everything.

They talked into the early hours of the morning, planning their future. They would present their union to the council as a done deal, a marriage of the heart and a bond that could not be broken. Jungkook knew that it would be met with resistance, but he had faith in Taehyung's ability to sway the room.

The next day, they stood before the council, hand in hand. The room was silent, the air thick with anticipation. Taehyung announced their intention to marry, his voice steady and strong. The council members exchanged glances, some shocked, others outraged. Jungkook felt his palms grow damp, but he didn't let go of Taehyung's hand.