Boys Don't Cry, But Men Do

The quiet neighborhood hummed with the distant sound of a lawnmower, the rhythmic pulse of suburban life on a summer evening. Taehyung stepped off the bus, his eyes scanning the row of houses as the engine's growl grew fainter. His footsteps echoed softly on the sidewalk, a gentle counterpoint to the chirping of crickets. He felt the weight of his work bag on his shoulder, the strap biting into his skin. It had been a long day, but home was just around the corner.

As he approached their little house with the yellow door, something felt off. The blinds were drawn, blocking the usual warm glow from the living room. The garden, usually a riot of color from Jungkook's meticulous care, seemed to wilt in the shadows. He fumbled for his keys, his heart picking up pace.

Taehyung pushed the door open, calling out a tired greeting. The house responded with a pregnant silence, filled only by the ticking of the grandfather clock in the hallway. He slipped off his shoes and made his way through the familiar layout, the floorboards whispering underfoot. The kitchen was immaculate, dinner plates stacked neatly in the sink, but no Jungkook.

He found him in the bedroom, sitting on the edge of the bed, shoulders hunched and face buried in his hands. Jungkook's body trembled with silent sobs, his usual vibrant energy drained away like spilled ink on a wet canvas. The sight of his strong, unshakeable partner in such a vulnerable state sent a shiver down Taehyung's spine. He'd never seen Jungkook cry, not once in the three years they'd been together.

"Babe?" Taehyung whispered, approaching tentatively. Jungkook's head snapped up, eyes red-rimmed and swollen. For a moment, he looked like a startled deer, caught in the headlights. Then, as recognition flooded his features, his shoulders slumped further. "What's wrong?"

Jungkook took a shaky breath, trying to compose himself. His voice cracked when he spoke, the words tumbling out in a rush. "Everything... nothing... I don't know." He wiped at his face with the back of his hand, smearing wet trails across his cheeks. "I just... I can't keep it together anymore."

Taehyung stepped closer, his heart aching. He sat on Jungkook's lap, his legs draped over Jungkook's thighs, as he often did when they watched movies or just talked into the night. Jungkook liked the feeling of Taehyung's warmth and weight, a comforting anchor in the storm of his thoughts. Now, it was Taehyung who provided that steadiness, his hands on Jungkook's shoulders offering silent reassurance.

"You don't have to," Taehyung said softly, his voice a gentle balm to Jungkook's turmoil. "You can tell me anything. I'm here for you."

Jungkook nodded, his chest heaving with each breath. He took a moment to gather his thoughts, his eyes flitting around the room as if searching for the right words. "I don't want you think I'm weak, because everyone says 'boys don't cry' and 'I'm the strong one' and--"

"Shh," Taehyung soothed, pressing a finger to Jungkook's quivering lips. "You're not weak. You're human, and it's okay to feel this way." He stroked Jungkook's cheek, brushing away a stray tear with his thumb. "Yes, boys don't cry, but men cry. And you're a man. My man."

Jungkook's eyes searched Taehyung's, looking for the truth in his words. "I just... I've been keeping it in for so long. Work's been hard, and I don't want to burden you with it." He sniffled, his voice a mere whisper. "I'm supposed to be the strong one, the one who makes you laugh, not the one who makes you worry."

Taehyung leaned in, pressing their foreheads together. "You're not a burden, Jungkook. You're everything to me." He paused, his thumb tracing the line of Jungkook's jaw. "You can share your pain with me. That's what we do in a relationship."

A fresh wave of tears spilled over Jungkook's lashes, and he wrapped his arms around Taehyung's waist, burying his face in the crook of his neck. Taehyung held him tightly, feeling the warmth of Jungkook's breath against his skin, the steady beat of his heart. He stroked Jungkook's hair, the soft strands slipping through his fingers like silk, whispering sweet nothings into his ear.