051. friendship isn't reduced

L I F E L I N E

march 31, 2023

tired and slightly hungover. liberty didn't want to be at work right now but she was already committed to it. plus it meant she could have a few hours away from her boyfriend who was, thankfully, definitely too hungover to do anything this morning.

talking with her client while she applied bleach foils around her hair, trying to keep the conversation going to keep herself present.

one hand holding a foil under a sectioned out part of the client's hair, picking up bleach on the brush with her other as liberty flicked her head over to the salon's door as it chimed, quickly doing a double take.

daniel sent the girl a soft smile before she had turned back to the hair, and he walked himself over to the waiting area to sit until she had a moment for him — whether he needed to be there for five minutes or five hours, he was willing to wait.

"i'll be back to check the color in a minute," she smiled at her client in the mirror after the few more minutes she had spent finishing up the highlight sections, receiving a nod.

grabbing the color bowl and anything she used, liberty headed out the back to clean it all up before coming back out to the other side of the salon where daniel was sat.

"hi.." she brought the silence with a softly spoken tone which causing him to look up at her, instantly getting up and pulling her into a hug.

"hi," he matched her voice, burying his head against the top of her's.

"come with me," she sniffled.

already knowing what he wanted to talk about, she unwrapped her arms from him, grabbing ahold of his hand as she lead him through the salon, and out to the back, outside area.

"i'm sorry i didn't go to dinner last night.."

"it's alright," he quickly forgave her while gently running his hand over the side of her hair, getting her to look at him. "are you okay?"

"yea.. i just- i didn't have a chance to message you- no service on the boat.. i just forgot i agreed to go with aj last night.."

"but why don't you reply every other day anymore?"

"we just like to put our phones aside and just focus on each other," she shrugged, her eyes still avoiding to look into his directly. "he keeps me busy, i don't have time to text, i'm sorry.."

"you don't need to apologise, libby," he tilted his head to get a better look at her. "i just want to make sure you're okay.. and he's not like.. telling you what to do and stuff..?"

"i am, i promise," she nodded.

"why were you so scared the other day when vi and i were here and aj was sitting in the waiting area?" he furrowed. "and please don't tell me you weren't.. i know you lil, i know you were, even if it was only a little bit.."

"he's knows you're my ex.. i'm scared of him finding out we're still friends," she admitted, finally looking up at him. "but i guess he's going to find it out on sunday so.. it's kind of pointless.."

"you don't have to post for my birthday if it's gonna hurt you-"

"he doesn't hurt me!" she interrupted him with a scoff.

"okay," he held his hands up in defence. "but our friendship isn't reduced to what we post on instagram," he laughed to lighten the mood. "i mean it, i don't care if you don't. i'll still be your best friend. i just want you to be okay."

"and i am okay."

"i'm glad," he nodded, the words taking a lot in him to even get out. "if you ever need help though, tell me- send the most random emoji and i'll know what it means."

she took a deep breath and nodded.

"i'll let you get back to your client," he pulled her into a hug again. "in a second, that is."

she wrapped her arms around him, enjoying the silence for a few seconds.

"hill heights. 14-0-3."

he simply hummed in agreement to what she had blurted out, having a good idea of what she meant. softly nodding against her head while his hand slowly rubbed her back.

"you looked really pretty last night, by the way.."

"thank you.."

".. i love you"

".. i love you daniel.."

she soaked in his comfort for a little longer before pulling away, subtly wiping the tear rolling down her cheek away. "i need to get back to work.."

he gently placed his hands on either of her cheeks, leaning in and planting a singular kiss on her forehead. "you promise me that you're okay? cause i'll take you far away, right now, if you're not."

"mhm, i'm good.."

"okay," he swallowed, pulling away from her and grabbing the door handle. "i'll let you go back to your client now.."

"thank you."

stepping past him, she begun walking back inside and over to her client while daniel somewhat followed behind her.

"by lil," he called out.

"bye," liberty returned the smile before turning to her client as she checked the foils. "i'm sorry about that.."

"it's fine," she shrugged. "is that the boyfriend?"

"no," she softly chuckled, glancing over to daniel now leaving the salon after saying a quick hi to a couple of the girl's coworkers. "that's my friend.."

"you're friends with a guy who looks like that?!"

"yeah.." liberty laughed at the emphasising of words. "we don't work in that way. trust me, we tried it once upon a time.."

"and how long ago is that?" she raised a brow, looking at the younger through the mirror as she continued to check throughout her hair. "if you don't mind me asking."

"i don't know.. five years ago."

"a lot can change in five years.."

"mh.. well.. i have a boyfriend, and he has a girlfriend.. it'd be wrong to get together any time soon."

"alright.. but do keep that in mind. if the opportunity arises, it's worth a shot trying again."

"mh, okay.."

AUTHOR'S NOTE!
ngl since the last update i've
written this and the next 3
chapters hehe so expect updates
spread out ofc cause this urge to
write is going to run out i just
know it lmao