008. A rainy day

2100

2100

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_egA9RZrD5k

The school day had finally come to an end, and Yuka felt a mix of exhaustion and relief as she stepped out of the building. She decided to walk home alone, hoping the solitude would help clear her mind.

As she walked through the quiet streets, the sky began to darken, and a gentle drizzle started to fall. She didn't mind the rain; in fact, it felt refreshing, like the world was being washed clean. The rhythmic sound of raindrops hitting the ground was almost therapeutic.

As she neared her neighborhood, she heard the faint creaking of a rusty swing. The sound tugged at her heart, and without thinking, she took a slight detour, her feet carrying her toward the playground she used to play on with Todoroki.

Memories of their time together flooded her mind, and she couldn't resist the urge to revisit the place where they had shared so many happy moments.

It was a small, quaint park tucked away in a quiet neighborhood, a place filled with memories from her past. She and Todoroki used to come here often when they were together, escaping the pressures of their respective lives to find solace in each other's company. The playground was deserted now, with no kid willing to play on a wet slide.

She looked around. The swings, slides, and climbing frames looked exactly the same, untouched by time.

Yuka ran, splashing in the puddles as she did, her heart pounding with a mixture of anticipation and nostalgia. She reached the playground and stood still for a moment, taking in the familiar sights and sounds. The swing set, with its faded red paint and rusty chains, the old merry-go-round that squeaked when you pushed it, and the tall oak tree that provided shade on hot summer days – everything was just as she remembered.

She walked over to the swing set and sat down on one of the swings, her hands gripping the cold, wet chains. She began to swing gently, the motion soothing her. As she swung higher, she closed her eyes, letting the cool rain wash over her face. It was as if she were being transported back in time to when she and Todoroki would spend hours here, talking about their dreams and fears, finding comfort in each other's presence.

Lost in her thoughts, she almost didn't notice the figure approaching her. It wasn't until he spoke that she looked up, her heart skipping a beat.

"Yuka," Todoroki said softly, his voice carrying a mix of surprise and something else she couldn't quite place.

Her feet dragged on the woodchips, slowing her swinging to a stop.

"Todoroki-kun," she replied, her eyes wide with surprise. "What are you doing here?"

He gave a small, almost sheepish smile. "I was just passing by and thought I'd come here. I didn't expect to see you."

Yuka nodded, feeling a strange sense of fate at play. "I was thinking the same thing. This place... it holds a lot of memories."

Todoroki nodded in agreement. "It does." He hesitated for a moment before asking, "Mind if I sit?"

"Of course," she said, gesturing to the swing next to her.

He sat down, and for a moment, they both just swung gently, the silence between them filled with unspoken words and shared memories. The sun was beginning to set, casting a warm, golden light over the playground.

"This place hasn't changed much," Todoroki remarked, looking around.

"Not at all," Yuka agreed. "It's almost like time stood still here."

They fell into a comfortable silence, each lost in their own thoughts.

As they sat there, the world around Yuka seemed to blur and fade, the edges of reality softening like a dream. The sound of the creaking swings and distant laughter of children began to melt into an ethereal melody, one that played softly in the background of her mind. She felt as though she were being drawn back into a different time, a different place.

The playground shimmered in the fading light, transforming into a memory so vivid it felt like she could reach out and touch it. She saw herself, younger and carefree, running towards Todoroki, his mismatched eyes filled with a rare smile just for her. They had spent countless afternoons here, escaping the weight of their responsibilities and finding solace in each other's company.

She could almost hear their voices, echoing like whispers in the wind.

"Yuka, look!" Todoroki had said, pointing to the sky where a flock of birds took flight, their wings catching the golden light of the setting sun.

"It's beautiful," she had replied, her eyes wide with wonder. "I wish I had wings like those. I would fly away from here."

"Bring me with you!" Todoroki said enthusiasically.

The scene shifted, and she saw them sitting under the tall oak tree, its branches sheltering them from the world. They had shared secrets, fears, and dreams beneath that tree, the air filled with the scent of blooming flowers and the gentle rustling of leaves.

"Todoroki-kun, do you ever feel like we're living in a story?" she had asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

"Sometimes," he had replied, his gaze distant. "But if we are, it's a story I'm glad to be a part of."

The memory dissolved, and Yuka found herself back on the swing, the ethereal music fading into the background. She opened her eyes, the world coming back into focus. Todoroki was still beside her, his presence grounding her in the present.

She took a deep breath, the weight of the past few days lifting slightly. "Do you ever think about those days?" she asked, her voice soft, almost hesitant.

Todoroki glanced at her, his eyes reflecting the same wistful nostalgia she felt. "I do. More often than I'd like to admit."

Yuka nodded, her heart aching with a mixture of longing and acceptance. "They were good days."

"They were," he agreed, his voice quiet. "But we can't live in the past forever."

She looked at him, feeling a renewed sense of resolve. "No, we can't. But we can remember. And maybe, we can create new memories."

He nodded, a small, hopeful smile playing at the corners of his lips. "I'd like that."

As the sun dipped below the horizon, casting long shadows across the playground, Yuka felt a sense of peace. The past was a part of her, a part of them, but it didn't have to define their future. They could move forward, one step at a time, and maybe, just maybe, find their way back to each other.

With that thought, they stood up, their swings swaying gently in the breeze. They walked away from the playground, side by side but not touching, the distance between them filled with unspoken promises and a shared understanding.

The future was uncertain, but in that moment, Yuka didn't care. All that mattered was the boy beside her.