036. Lucy

2101

2101

Lucy's world had become a twisted cycle of pain, obedience, and an all-consuming hatred. Every morning, she was dragged out of her cell and thrown into the training room, where the cold, sterile walls closed in on her like a cage. The harsh, fluorescent lights buzzed overhead, and the echo of the doctor's commands drilled into her skull.

It had been days. Maybe weeks, or even months. She didn't remember. She didn't care.

During the day, she would train, and during the night, she would keep uncovering memories of her mothers' death; her plans for Yuka's greatness.

Her body had long since stopped feeling anything beyond the ever-present sting of her wounds, the raw, red gashes that marred her back from the whip. The bruises on her arms and legs, the bleeding knuckles, the exhaustion that sapped every bit of strength—none of it mattered anymore. There was no room for pain, no room for self-pity. There was only the hatred that burned inside her, hotter than any flame Todoroki could ever conjure.

Todoroki.

His name was poison in her veins, the fuel that kept her moving when her body screamed for rest. The mere thought of his face made her blood boil, made her fists clench so tightly her nails dug into her palms. She hated him more than she had ever hated anyone or anything.

He left you to die.

It was the same thought, over and over again, hammering in her mind with every punch she threw, with every kick, with every drop of blood that hit the ground.

He abandoned you.

The memory of him—the memory that had become her nightmare—was seared into her brain. That building. The fire. The suffocating smoke filling her lungs. And Todoroki, his cold eyes staring down at her as he walked away, leaving her broken and forgotten.

Lucy had replayed that moment in her mind so many times it was the only thing she could remember clearly now. She didn't know who she had been before this. Her past was a blur, a distant, unreachable dream. But she remembered Todoroki. She remembered his betrayal. And that was all that mattered.

"Again," the doctor's voice snapped her out of her thoughts.

She was on the ground, her body shaking, her vision blurry. The room spun around her, and for a moment, she thought she might pass out. But then she heard the crack of the whip, the sharp, biting sound that had become a twisted form of encouragement. The pain seared across her back, but Lucy didn't cry out. She had stopped crying long ago. Tears were for the weak, and she was not allowed to be weak anymore.

Weakness was why Todoroki had left her. It was why he had chosen someone else, someone stronger, more worthy. He had never cared about her, never truly seen her. She was nothing to him. A forgotten, discarded thing. A failure.

But she wouldn't be weak anymore. She would prove them all wrong.

With a grunt of effort, Lucy forced herself to her feet, her legs wobbling beneath her. Her fists were trembling, blood dripping from her knuckles, but she didn't stop. She couldn't. If she stopped, she was nothing. And she would never be nothing again. Not after All For One had saved her.