016. Relationships

2100

2100

Yuka yawned as she slipped off her sneakers quietly and tip-toed into the house.

"Yuka, can I talk to you?" She still in surprise to hear the voice of her father calling out her name. It was coming from the living room.

"Alright."

It was the first time he had even talked to her since the UA sports festival. She would wake up early on purpose to avoid him and would walk home slowly from school. She had succeeded in ignoring his entire existence until he had called for her.

She entered the living room, seeing her father slumped on the couch, watching the news on the TV. At the sight of her, he turned it off with a click of a remote, the sound of muffled commentary fading into an awkward silence.

"What do you want?" She asked.

He sighed. "I'm sorry." The normally sharp edges of his demeanor seemed worn down, and his eyes had a haunted quality to them, as if he'd been carrying a burden far too long. The sudden apology he offered was disarming, catching Yuka completely off guard.

"What?"

He rubbed his face with his hands, the dark circles on his face evident.

"For yelling at you this morning... and everything else."

It was all so unexpected. She had hated him for her whole life, knowing that he would never admit to being wrong. But on a random friday afternoon, he decided to apologize. He didn't even yell at her that badly.

Yuka's confusion was evident as she stood in the doorway, her purse in her hand. "It's fine, it wasn't that big of a deal," she said, her brows knitting together in concern. "Are you okay? Are you drunk?"

Ren shook his head, his voice surprisingly steady despite the visible fatigue. "No, I'm not drunk. Just... tired, I guess. I know I've been a terrible father. I've done things that I can't undo, and I've hurt you more than I ever intended."

Yuka hesitated, taking a few steps further into the room. Her eyes searched his face, trying to gauge the sincerity of his apology. "Why are you apologizing now?" she asked. "You've never done that before. It's been years, and now you suddenly decide to say sorry?"

Ren's gaze dropped to the floor, his fingers absently tapping on the couch cushion. "I don't know why it took me so long," he admitted. "Maybe it's because I've finally realized the weight of my mistakes. I've been selfish, and it's cost us so much."

Yuka took a seat on the armrest of the couch, her skepticism clear. "Is this some kind of trick? You're not trying to manipulate me into something else, are you?"

"No," Ren said quickly, shaking his head. "I'm not trying to manipulate you. I just wanted to be honest for once. I've been so caught up in my own plans and ambitions that I lost sight of what really mattered. I see now that I've driven you away, and I'm sorry for that."