Sleepless nights

As soon as the police leave, Charlotte starts grabbing her bag and heading out the door.

"Char, wait! Where are you going?" Mia calls out for her.

"I am going to see my kids, I need to see them, I need to see that they are safe, I ..." Charlotte starts rambling on.

"Char, breathe. Okay, that's it." Mia tries to calm down the woman in front of her.

"you feel better? Good, let's go." Mia starts walking to the door.

"Wait, what?" Charlotte looks confused.

"We are going to your kids. I'm driving."

Mia didn't wait for Char, she opened the door and walked to the car. By the time she unlocked the car and opened the passenger door for Charlotte, she was locking up the front door. 

Once both women were in the car, Char put her in-law's address into the GPS and they were ready to head off. The drive was silent, except for the radio which was on a low volume. Char was staring out the window when a dip in the road. It frightened her, and she grabbed onto Mia's thigh. She quickly realised what she had done and let go.

"Sorry."She mumbled under her breath. Mia reached over and took Char's hand in hers.

"Hey, it's okay. I don't mind. If it makes you feel more grounded, I'll help in any way I can okay?" Mia gave the woman a smile and loosened her hand a bit if Char wanted to let go, but she just held Mia's hand tighter. 

Luckily for them, Charlotte's in-laws didn't live far. Just about a ten-minute drive. they were parking the car in the driveway. They could see the living room light still on, so they knew that they were still awake. 

Mia jumped out, and opened the door for Char, taking her hand to help her out. Her legs were still a little wobbly. The front door opened, and two silhouettes stood in the doorway. As the two women made their way to the door, they came into the light. Char's in-laws gasped, finally seeing the bags under Char's eyes and her busted lip.

Her mother-in-law came running to her.

"Oh my darling, what happened?" She asked worriedly, helping her into the house.

"Are the kids asleep?" That was the first thing Char said.

"Yes, they are. Honey, what happened?" 

"I need to see them first, please I ..." Her legs started to wobble again, but Mia caught her. A small 'I got you' escaped her lips.

Mia helped Char to the room where the kids were asleep. She went in and stared at them both for a second before leaving the room again. The second the door was closed, she broke down crying into Mia's shoulder. She could see the worry on her in-law's faces. 

The four of them made their way to the living room and sat down on the couch. Not a word was said, but everyone knew they were waiting for Char to start talking. She took a deep breath and told them everything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Char's in-laws were absolutely furious with their son. They apologised on his behalf more times than she could count. They had convinced her to leave the kids there for the rest of the night. Char reluctantly agreed, and she and Mia were on their way back home. 

It was only 15 minutes later that Char realised they were not going to her house. She looked at Mia, but only saw a small smile on her face.

"It's okay sweetheart. We are going to my place. I could see how uncomfortable you were in your own home. I want you to get some rest. I have a guest room if you want space." Char just nodded her head and thought it over.

"I don't want to be alone." she finally said as they were pulling up in Mia's driveway. Mia just smiled at her, and once again got out and opened Cha's door for her. This was the first time Char's head was calm enough to realise what Mia was doing, causing her to blush.

the two women went inside the house. This was the first time Char saw Mia's place, and it was so... Mia. 

The alls were a silver-grey colour, with a dark-green accent wall in the living room. Char smiled at the pictures on the wall while they were making their way to the bedroom. Mia gave Char some clothes and told her that there was an extra toothbrush under the sink.

Ten minutes later, the two women were in bed, silence wrapped around them. It was a comfortable silence. 

"Char?" Mia finally said

"Yeah?" 

"I... I know now might not be the best time. but, I umm... I don't deserve you. I don't think I ever will. What you said at the hospital..." Mia was cut off by Char who had turned to face her.

"Mia, I feel so terrible about that. I was scared of what Charlie was going to do. I didn't mean it."

"No, but you were right. I never wanted to settle. I was selfish. but the truth is, since that day I met you, no one has ever compared. every person I see, it's always, Char is so much better. No matter who they were, no one was ever you." Mia looked into Char's eyes as she talked.

"Wait, so since that day... no one?"

"Not a single person."

Char looked at her for a second, thinking.

"Mia... I'm not ready."

"No! No, I know. I didn't tell you because I want us to be together... well I do... but I know right now is not a good time. But Char, for you, I would wait for as long as you needed. For you Char, I would wait forever."

Char smiled softly at the woman next to her. She reached her hand to the middle of the bed, and Mia smiled, meeting her halfway.  Char moved a little closer to Mia. Their faces were inches apart, but neither one moved more. They just stared at each other, smiles on their faces.

"Your smile is the most gorgeous thing in the world," Mia whispered, feeling like talking louder would ruin the moment. Char blushed a deep red and squeezed Mia's hand tighter.

Soon the two women fell asleep, holding hands.