It's so small

Autumn and Winter sat in the waiting room of the ultrasound clinic, their hands intertwined. The soft hum of the machines and the quiet murmur of other expectant parents surrounded them, but all Autumn could focus on was the fluttering in her stomach—not just from the baby, but from the anticipation of what they were about to discover.

Winter glanced over at Autumn, squeezing her hand gently. "You nervous?" he asked, his voice warm and reassuring.

Autumn nodded, a small smile playing on her lips. "A little. But mostly excited. I can't believe we're about to find out if we're having a boy or a girl."

Winter chuckled, leaning in to kiss her temple. "Whatever it is, they're going to be amazing."Just then, a nurse called their names, and they both stood up, exchanging a glance filled with a mix of excitement and nerves. They followed the nurse into the dimly lit room where the ultrasound technician was waiting.

As Autumn lay back on the exam table, Winter took his place beside her, never letting go of her hand. The technician smiled at them, spreading the cool gel on Autumn's stomach. "Are you ready to see your baby?" she asked.

Autumn and Winter nodded in unison, their eyes fixed on the screen. The technician began to move the transducer over Autumn's belly, and soon, the black-and-white image of their baby appeared on the monitor.

"There's your little one," the technician said softly, pointing to the tiny figure on the screen. Autumn's breath caught in her throat as she saw the baby, small yet perfectly formed, moving gently inside her.

Winter's eyes were glued to the screen, a look of awe on his face. "That's our baby," he whispered, his voice filled with wonder.

The technician continued to scan, measuring and checking everything carefully. After a few moments, she paused, a smile spreading across her face. "Would you like to know the gender?"Autumn and Winter exchanged a quick glance before nodding eagerly. "Yes, we'd love to," Autumn said, her voice trembling with anticipation.

The technician moved the transducer slightly, focusing on a specific area of the image. She looked at them with a grin. "Congratulations, you're having a boy!"

A wave of emotion washed over Autumn, tears springing to her eyes as she looked at the screen. "A boy..." she whispered, barely able to believe it.

Winter's face lit up with pure joy, and he leaned down to kiss Autumn's forehead. "We're having a son," he said, his voice filled with pride and love.
Autumn smiled through her tears, squeezing Winter's hand tightly. "I can't wait to meet him," she said softly, her heart overflowing with happiness.

The rest of the appointment passed in a blur, but all Autumn and Winter could think about was their baby boy—this tiny, precious life that was already filling their hearts with so much love. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Autumn had been feeling off all morning, a faint dizziness creeping in as she went about her day. She tried to brush it off, telling herself it was just part of the pregnancy, but as the day wore on, the dizzy spells became harder to ignore.

It was early afternoon when she felt the room spin slightly as she stood up from the couch. She reached out to steady herself, closing her eyes for a moment to regain her balance. Winter, who was sitting next to her on the couch, saw this and caught her before she fell. 

"Autumn, are you okay?" he asked, his voice laced with concern as he gently placed a hand on her shoulder.

Autumn forced a smile, trying to downplay the situation. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just a little dizzy, that's all."

But Winter wasn't convinced. He had noticed these dizzy spells happening more frequently over the past few weeks, and it was starting to worry him. He guided her back to the couch, sitting down beside her.

"Autumn, this is the third time this week," Winter said softly, his brow furrowed with worry. "I think we need to talk to the doctor about it."

Autumn sighed, leaning her head back against the cushions. "I know, but I don't want to make a big deal out of it. I'm sure it's just normal pregnancy stuff."

Winter took her hand in his, his thumb brushing gently over her knuckles. "Maybe it is, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I want to make sure you and the baby are okay."

Autumn looked into his eyes, seeing the genuine concern there. She knew he was right—this wasn't something to brush off. She nodded slowly. "Okay, you're right. We'll mention it at the next appointment."

Winter relaxed a little, though the worry in his eyes didn't completely fade. "I just want to make sure you're taking care of yourself, Autumn. I love you both too much to take any chances."Autumn smiled, touched by his concern. "I know you do, and I appreciate it. I'll take it easy, I promise."

Winter leaned in, pressing a gentle kiss to her forehead. "Good. Let me take care of you, okay?"Autumn nodded, feeling a wave of warmth at his words. Despite the dizzy spells, she knew she was lucky to have Winter by her side, watching over her and their baby. 

Winter couldn't shake the worry that had settled deep in his chest. No matter how much he tried to stay positive, the memory of their past miscarriage lingered like a shadow over every moment of this pregnancy. Autumn's recent dizzy spells only heightened his fear, reminding him of how fragile this journey could be.

As Autumn rested on the couch, Winter sat beside her, his hand gently placed over her growing belly. He wanted to believe everything would be okay, but the anxiety gnawed at him, whispering doubts he couldn't ignore.

"Autumn," he began softly, breaking the silence, "I know I've been a little overprotective lately, but... I'm scared. After what happened before, I just can't help but worry."

Autumn looked at him, her eyes filled with understanding. She knew how much that loss had affected him—how it had shaken them both to their core. "Winter, I'm scared too," she admitted, her voice quiet but steady. "But we have to believe that this time will be different."

Winter nodded, though the fear still clung to him. "I want to believe that. I really do. But every time something feels off, I get this knot in my stomach, like I'm just waiting for something bad to happen."

Autumn reached out, taking his hand in hers. "We've been through so much already, Winter. And I know it's hard, but we have to trust that this baby is strong. We're doing everything we can to take care of him."

Winter squeezed her hand, trying to draw strength from her words. "I just don't want to lose you or the baby. I don't know if I could handle that again."

"You won't lose us," Autumn said firmly, her voice full of resolve. "We're going to get through this together, just like we always have. And when our son is born, we'll hold him in our arms and know that all the worry was worth it."

Winter looked into her eyes, seeing the determination and love that had carried them through so many challenges. He took a deep breath, trying to let go of some of the fear that had been weighing him down. "You're right. We'll get through this. I just need to keep reminding myself of that."

Autumn smiled, leaning in to kiss him softly. "And I'll be here to remind you whenever you need it. We're a team, Winter. We're going to make it."

Winter felt a flicker of hope stir within him, bolstered by Autumn's unwavering belief in their future. He nodded, a small smile touching his lips. "We will. And I'll be here for you, every step of the way."

As they sat together, their hands intertwined, Winter allowed himself to focus on the love they shared, rather than the fears that had been haunting him. They had been through so much already, but they were stronger for it—and they would face whatever came next together.