Family Truth

Reece sat in the hospital waiting room, the other morning's events replaying in his mind. The police had come to his door with the shocking news: his father's car had skidded off a cliff during a rainstorm, leading to his immediate death. The announcement had left him in a state of disbelief, even though his relationship with his father had always been strained. Now, he had the difficult task of informing Autumn, who was still recovering from the birth of her son, Michael Joey.

He took a deep breath, gathering his thoughts as he approached Autumn's hospital room. She was propped up in bed, cradling the newborn in her arms, her face showing a mixture of exhaustion and maternal joy. Winter was by her side, his hand resting gently on her shoulder as he watched over both his wife and their new baby.

Reece knocked softly before entering the room. Autumn's gaze met his, and she immediately sensed that something was wrong.

"Reece, is everything alright?" she asked, her voice laced with concern.

Reece forced a small, reassuring smile. "Autumn, could we step outside for a moment? I need to talk to you about something important."

Her brow furrowed slightly as she handed Michael to Winter. "Of course. Let me just get up for a moment."

They moved into the hallway, the quiet hum of the hospital around them creating a stark contrast to the turmoil Reece felt inside. He paused, struggling with how to convey the news. He had hoped to avoid this conversation, but the reality was inescapable.

"It's about our father," Reece began, his voice steady but filled with tension.

Autumn's face immediately changed, her eyes narrowing as she processed the mention of their father. "What about him?"

"He's dead," Reece said, the words coming out with a heaviness that seemed to hang in the air. "His car went off a cliff during the storm the other night. The police came by yesterday morning to inform me."

For a moment, Autumn just stared at him, her expression unreadable. She blinked slowly as if trying to absorb the news. The silence between them was thick, filled with unspoken feelings. Reece could see the internal struggle on her face, the conflict between years of unresolved emotions and the sudden finality of their father's death.

"I see," Autumn finally said, her voice flat and controlled. "I didn't expect to hear this today."

"Autumn, I know you and Father didn't have the best relationship," Reece said gently, trying to gauge her reaction. "But are you okay? Do you need anything?"

Autumn took a deep breath, her shoulders relaxing slightly. "I'm fine, really. It's just... I don't know how to feel. He was never really a part of our lives. He was more interested in his money than in us. It's strange, but I guess I'm relieved that it's finally over."

Reece nodded, understanding her sentiment. "I feel the same. It's odd knowing he's gone, but at the same time, it feels like a chapter we can finally close."

Autumn's gaze softened as she looked at her brother. "We can finally move on from this, focus on our lives, and not have to worry about him anymore. It's time for us to find some peace."

Reece nodded, feeling a weight lift from his shoulders. Despite the complicated emotions surrounding their father, it was clear that both he and Autumn were ready to put the past behind them. The news of their father's death was a stark reminder of their fractured relationship, but it also marked a new beginning.

"Thank you for telling me," Autumn said, her voice steady. "I'm okay. Really."

Reece offered her a reassuring smile, feeling a mix of relief and sadness. "I'm glad. We'll get through this together like we always do."

Autumn nodded, her expression resolute. "We always do."

As they stood there, the weight of their father's death slowly beginning to settle, they found solace in their shared strength and determination. The past was behind them, and they could now focus on the future—on healing, moving forward, and embracing the new chapters in their lives.

Autumn took a deep breath as she walked back into her hospital room. The conversation with Reece had been emotionally draining, but it was necessary. Now, she needed to share the news with Winter, who was sitting beside the bed, holding their newborn son, Michael Joey.

Winter looked up as she entered, his face softening with a gentle smile. "Hey, how did it go?" he asked, his voice warm and comforting.

Autumn sat down beside him, her gaze shifting to Michael, who was peacefully sleeping in Winter's arms. The sight of their son brought a sense of calm to her amidst the emotional whirlwind. She took another deep breath, trying to steady herself before speaking.

"Winter," she began, her voice trembling slightly, "there's something I need to tell you. It's about my father."

Winter's expression changed to one of concern. "Is everything okay? You look troubled."

Autumn nodded, though her eyes were filled with a mix of sadness and resignation. "I just found out that he's passed away. The police came to Reece yesterday morning with the news. His car skidded off a cliff during the storm. He didn't survive."

Winter's eyes widened in surprise. He looked at Autumn, searching for the right words. "I'm sorry, Autumn. I know you and your father had a complicated relationship. How are you feeling about this?"

Autumn sighed, her gaze shifting to the baby in Winter's arms. "It's strange. Part of me feels a sense of relief that this chapter is finally closed. He was never really a part of our lives, and his focus was always on his money. I haven't thought much about him in recent years. But it's still unsettling to think that he's gone."

Winter nodded, his hand gently brushing Michael's tiny head. "It must be a lot to process, especially with everything that's happened recently. If you need to talk or just need some support, I'm here for you."

Autumn reached out, resting her hand on Winter's arm. "Thank you. I appreciate that. I'm still trying to come to terms with it all. I suppose it's a reminder of how far we've come from that part of our lives. We've built something new and better for ourselves and our family."

Winter gave her a reassuring smile, his eyes reflecting both empathy and support. "You're right. We've created a new chapter, one filled with love and hope. And we'll face this new challenge together, just like we always do."

Autumn took a moment to gather her thoughts, her gaze lingering on Michael. "It's just odd how life keeps moving forward, no matter what. We have so much to look forward to with Michael and our future together. I guess this is just another part of that journey."

Winter squeezed her hand gently. "We'll get through this, Autumn. We have each other, and we have our family. That's what matters most."

Autumn nodded, feeling a sense of comfort in Winter's words. "Yes, you're right. We'll face this together and keep moving forward."

As they sat together in the quiet hospital room, Autumn and Winter found solace in each other's presence. Despite the sadness of the news, they were determined to focus on their family and the future they were building together. The arrival of their son, Michael Joey, was a bright spot in their lives, and they knew that with love and support, they could handle whatever came their way.