Hate Is A Strong Word

Emily's POV

"Run" Luke yelled holding my hand. We ran into the janitor's closet and stood there.

"What just happened?"

"Shh" Luke shushed.

"I WILL FIND YOU TWO AND I WILL END YOU" Brandon yelled.

We heard footsteps leaving and getting more distant. "Great, I'm late for class" I mumbled.

"I was walking to class" Luke said.

"Well, then we're both late. But may I just ask you something?"

"What" he questioned.

"What the fuck just happened back there?"

"I saw how uncomfortable you were with Brandon so I tackled him. Now he'll probably try to hurt the two of us" Luke said.

"Alright, I'll see you later" I said.

*Afterschool*

Michael: Need to pick up medicine for mom. Walk home or go with Cal or Luke ❤️

I rolled my eyes.

"Hey Luke, can I walk with you?"

"Definitely" he said.

"YOU TWO" Brandon yelled.

We saw Calum and Jason there too. Brandon picked Luke up by the shirt collar. "Wouldn't it be horrible if you got beat up on the first day of senior year" Brandon questioned Luke.

"Put him down" I yelled.

"Calum, handle the girl. Jason help me with Luke" Brandon said.

"Don't hurt Luke" I yelled.

"Too late Princess" Brandon said throwing a punch to his stomach. Luke groaned in pain.

"Hey babe" Calum smirked.

"Are you actually gonna help them" I questioned.

"I'm sorry. I have to" he said before he backed me up against a tree. I slapped him. He turned back to me. Brandon and Jason stopped beating Luke and looked over at the two of us. "I hate you Calum fucking Hood" I yelled.

"W-What?" He stuttered. He seemed hurt. Good.

"And you. I may be smaller than you but I can still beat your ass" I told Brandon.

"Pfft, she thinks she can beat you up" Jason said.

"I don't need to" I said. I kicked him in the crotch.

"Fuck" he groaned falling to the ground. I bent down next to Luke who was all bloody and bruised up. "And you" I said pointing to Calum,"I don't even know you anymore. Turning on one of your best friends?"

"What is she talking about Calum" Jason asked.

"She's talking bullshit that's what" Calum said.

I helped Luke up. "I'm calling Dany" I said taking out my phone.

"Dany, please pick me up from school" I said.

"I thought Michael was taking you home?"

"Luke got hurt by Calum's jerk of friends" I said.

"I'll be right there" Dany said.

Dany picked me and Luke up then he dropped us at my house. Luke sat on the toilet seat as I washed and cleaned his cuts. "Are you gonna be okay?" I questioned.

"Yea" he said. "Thanks for kicking him in the balls."

I chuckled,"No problem."

"I'm gonna go home" he said.

"Stay safe" I said. I kissed his cheek. Luke opened the bathroom door and there stood Calum. Luke walked out, brushing past Calum. I looked down at the floor. "I'm not proud of what I did" he said. I walked right past him.

"We just fought last month. Do we have to do it again" he questioned.

I went into my room and slammed the door. I locked it before he could get in. "I still hate you" I mumbled.

"Hate is a strong word" he said through the door.

"That's why I'm using it" I said.

"I'm really sorry" he said.

*A few hours later*

There was a knock on my door. I groaned and unlocked it.

"I'm really sorry" Calum said. He stood there with a giant bouquet of roses.

"Oh my gosh" I said looking at the roses.

"Please, I can't stand you being mad at me" he said.

"You betrayed your own best friend. Luke doesn't even want to mention your name" I said.

"I know" he sighed.

I looked at the roses,"Thank you."

"No problem" he said handing them to me. I nodded and closed the door. I went back to scrolling on Instagram.

*The next day*

Michael was still gone. Damnit. I should call him to make sure everything is fine. But I need to do that Afterschool. Math class was first. Calum was there too. We were in the same class. I tried to avoid him as much as possible.

Calum's POV

*lunch*

"Hey the losers are back at their table" Brandon said.

I looked over at Dany, Emily and Luke. "Let's not mess with them."

"Come on Cal, it's fun. And you know it. I actually kissed Emily yesterday" he said.

"You...what?"

"Well, on the cheek. Then her neck. Then Luke came and tackled me out of nowhere" Brandon said.

"She has a boyfriend" I said.

"Who cares. It'd be better if she's single. Wait, who?"

"I think his name is Carter or something" I said. I pretended not to know. Who knows what Brandon could've done?

"Really? I thought it was Luke" Brandon said.

For some reason, a burning sensation started to grow inside of me.

Emily's POV

"Are you sure you don't want me to pick you up after school" Dany asked.

"I think I'll be fine" I chuckled.

"I actually drove to school today, so you could ride with me" Luke said.

"Okay." I smiled.

My phone buzzed. "Hey Carter," I giggled.

"Hey princess. Ummm, I was wondering if you wanted to hang out after school" he said.

"Yea, sure. Luke will drop me off at your place okay?"

"Yea. Shit, teacher bye" he said ending the call. I chuckled.

"Can you drop me off at Carter's?"

"Yea" Luke said.

Calum's POV

School was boring. As usual. I was gonna go talk to Emily. But then I saw her go into the same car as Luke. "Come on Cal. You're gonna be late" Brandon said.

"What are you looking at" Lauren asked.

"Nothing" I said.

She kissed my cheek,"I'll see you after soccer practice."

"Can I rain check?"

"Why?"

"I need to go fix something I broke" I said. I was talking about Emily.

"Tomorrow then?"

"Yea sure" I said.

"Bye Cal" she said walking away.

"Bye" I waved before going to the locker rooms to change. I went out onto the field and watch everyone do drills.