Chapter 11

Rick

Millie was a breath of fresh air. She allowed a level of security for me in knowing someone else was there when Patrice needed help. Patrice resented me for it, I knew that. I just didn't know what else to do because she was not a bad woman. She would never intentionally hurt our son. John and I needed her. The new baby would need her and we all went to great efforts to ensure Patrice remained happy and present. As much as she resisted the help at first—hurling insults at Millie about the way she cleaned or prepared meals—over time, we settled into a rhythm.

With a new baby on the way I hoped she would want to share our room again, but she didn't seem to have much interest in that. I stopped looking forward to waking up next to my wife, and was just grateful that we were dealing with a nice, long stretch without an outburst. If she preferred her own space, I respected that. I had failed her, after all. I saw the way she doted on Becky's daughter, how her smile seemed more genuine when the little girl was around. I had to do my penance. But maybe this time, we would have the girl she always wanted.

I allowed my excitement get the better of me, however. I tried moving her things back into our room, and what a mistake that turned out to be. She came home after running something over to Becky, whistling a tune as she strolled back to her room. I heard her rummaging and then yelled from out of view, "Rick! Where are my things!"

"Oh love, I moved it back! Don't you want to be back with me again?" I asked with a begging smile as I sprinted back to her room. Millie stood in the living room, pushing a vacuum and pretending not to be listening.

"No...I want to stay," her brows furrowed, "Absence makes the heart grow fonder, Rick!" She said with an anxious enthusiasm as she placed a hand to the large bump under her shirt. As much as I wanted her with me, I didn't want her to feel obligated. So, I dropped it. We continued living our lives as a happy family that retreated to their separate corners once the sun had set on our quiet street.

Aside from our separate sleeping arrangements, my wife was blossoming like I'd not seen since the early days of our courtship. She seemed happy again and as the months went on, we enjoyed life as we never had before. Ted and Becky introduced us to another couple who moved in down the street. Jed and Jane Patterson along with the Leonard's and us, started having regular get-togethers on the weekends.

They'd thrown Patrice a surprise baby shower, and she was the life of the party. On the days Patrice didn't have class, she would spend the afternoon at Becky's or take John to the playground. The holidays were approaching and she went out and bought all sorts of new clothes for all of us, even Millie. She looked as radiant as ever. I even noticed that she stopped smoking—a nasty habit she'd taken up after John was born. She thought I didn't know she was buying marijuana from the junkie two streets over, but I did and I never said anything because I had to choose my battles. She was doing so well.

Hiring Millie also gave Becky a break on watching both children. She was also an outstanding cook which was a nice change since Patrice had lost interest in cooking a while ago. I was so proud of the progress we'd made that I allowed myself to forgive the incident at the grocery store. When Patrice was doing well, she had the ability to convince everyone that it would never happen again. I foolishly believed her. Until she was close to the end of the pregnancy when she showed up at my office, red in the face and a bit out of sorts, rambling.

"He's an idiot. A pig...worse than a pig! He's a...a..."

I jumped from my seat, smiling tensely at coworkers who peered in with worried looks as I stepped around her large belly and closed the door to my office. She paced the small space, ranting on and making more barn animal references about her professor.